• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bw legal- letter before court claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bw legal- letter before court claim

With regard to replying to a letter before court.....can you use and base your reply on the courts PRACTICE DIRECTION PROTOCOL or are you only allowed to use the courts debt claim protocol in replying to the letter. The debt protocol is what BW Legal have followed in their LBC, but they have not used any of the Practice Direction protocol. Bit confused. Thanks, any advice please?
    Tags: None

Paragraph 1.1 of the Debt Protocol says:

This Protocol applies to any business (including sole traders and public bodies) claiming payment of a debt from an individual (including a sole trader). The business will be referred to as the “creditor”and the individual will be referred to as the “debtor”. This Protocol does not apply to business-to-business debts unless the debtor is a sole trader.
    If the dispute falls into the above statement, the Debt Protocol applies. If it doesn't then the PD Protocol covers all general disputes not covered by any other Protocol listed on the CPR website.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      Paragraph 1.1 of the Debt Protocol says:

If the dispute falls into the above statement, the Debt Protocol applies. If it doesn't then the PD Protocol covers all general disputes not covered by any other Protocol listed on the CPR website.
      I understand that and what they say but can i quote the practice direction protocol as well in my reply for example, can i use this quote..... PRACTICE DIRECTION
      Steps before issuing a claim at court

(c) the parties disclosing key documents relevant to the issues in dispute.

thanks

Comment

No.

You follow the protocol that applies, that's the whole purpose of having a set of Pre-action Protocols for specific disputes... you don't get to pick and choose to suit yourself.

I don't know why you want to refer to that point anyway because it's already covered in the Debt Protocol in paragraph 5.1 and 5.2.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

No.

You follow the protocol that applies, that's the whole purpose of having a set of Pre-action Protocols for specific disputes... you don't get to pick and choose to suit yourself.

I don't know why you want to refer to that point anyway because it's already covered in the Debt Protocol in paragraph 5.1 and 5.2.
          Thank you Rob, i was just gonna use that quote to find out what documents they would be relying on if it got to court. Thank you.

Comment

Usually letter before actions from the likes of BWLegal are pretty naff and basic and sometimes don't comply with the Debt Protocol.

I ave a letter floating around somewhere that you could use as a template to respond but you'll have to wait until later for me to hunt it out.
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Usually letter before actions from the likes of BWLegal are pretty naff and basic and sometimes don't comply with the Debt Protocol.

I ave a letter floating around somewhere that you could use as a template to respond but you'll have to wait until later for me to hunt it out.
              Thank you Rob, i need to upload my letter but it is saying the file is too big, how do i reduce the size of the file to upload. Thanks

Comment

Google file compress there's a number of free online reducers
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Comment

So this is a parking charge. Are they claiming against the keeper? Have you got the PCNs?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                      So this is a parking charge. Are they claiming against the keeper? Have you got the PCNs?
                      Yes, but i have not got the original PCN, I have just sent a SAR off to National Car Parks Ltd, which hopefully will be sent to me. Yes they are claiming against the keeper

Comment

Did you find the letter Bob, thanks

Comment

Send a letter to BWL demanding copies of all the documents they intend to use in the case in order to narrow the issues between you, as expected by the courts. As they are threatening a claim they must have all the documents to hand and therefore you expect the documents by return or at the latest within 7 days

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                            Send a letter to BWL demanding copies of all the documents they intend to use in the case in order to narrow the issues between you, as expected by the courts. As they are threatening a claim they must have all the documents to hand and therefore you expect the documents by return or at the latest within 7 days
                            Thank you, I will do. Do you think i should ask for a break down in how they have calculated the £160 at this stage or wait a while, coz I've been told it is double recovery and abuse of process and the court don't take kindly to this. Thanks

Comment

They have handily put the charge to £160 including initial legal charge. This is not allowed so when it gets to court you complain about abuse of process in trying to recover more than they are entitled to. There have been cases thrown out because of this. Also as the keeper they cannot claim for more than the original PCN

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X