• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Travel Agent - Refund for cancelled holiday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Agent - Refund for cancelled holiday

I had booked a holiday in April which got cancelled for obvious reasons. The travel agent offered a voucher or to rebook which I refused. They did not offer a refund stating "ABTA guidelines". The holiday was in April and per regulations the money should have been returned to me in mid-April (within 14 days of cancellation). After to-ing and fro-ing, they then said that a refund would not be given until October at the earliest.

I then sent a Letter before Action asking for monies to be paid within 14 days or I will initiate legal action (amount is for c£7k) - the 14 days expires end of June. They have responded that they will pay me in the second half of July (as opposed to late June when my 14 day deadline expires).

Quite frankly I don't trust them and I want to dig my heels in and demand that they stick to my deadline - which is two and a half months later than it was due anyway.

My question is if I dig my heels in (ie reject their offer and demand that the pay within the timeline in my Letter before Action), and I end up going to court (which I am perfectly happy to do), would it affect (a) my chances of winning, (b) my ability reclaim court fees if I won and (c) the risk that I have to pay their legal costs even if I won?

This company has behaved atrociously including making libellous comments to Amex (where I tried to initiate a chargeback) and I'm not in the mood to compromise any more.
    Tags: None

on a) No. It's a statutory implied contract term - PTR 2018 r.14(3).
    on b) No
    on c) It wil probably be small claims track. PTR 27(g) would be the only route for costs. You seem to have grounds for a costs order in your favour.

ABTA has issued no guideline requiring that a traveller is required to accept a voucher rather than a refund - goes to c). It's also a misleading action - Consumer Rights Act 2008

Also as trader because trader refused to comply with the PTR 2018, you have a claim for 'distress and inconvenience' - Consumer Rights Act (Amendment) Regulations 2014)

Comment

Um, my Claim online date ends in a few days time, the same problem, except I sent many letters, their phone on recorded, then cuts off, the only option was Claim on Line very easy, once the time is up, I expect the Company will delay paying us back. Update to follow.* *

Comment

Thanks. What happens if the Defendant offers to pay the amount owed after you file the claim - can you at this point decline stating that you want the court fees added as well (which are not insignificant) - c£400-500.?

Comment

You can settle at the door of the court or at any time beforehand. The amount you are prepared to settle for is your decision.

You can issue a claim up to six years after the event giving rise to the claim. If you win your case, court fees would be included in the Order.

If I was in your shoes, taking a pragmatic view, I would not issue proceedings until after their deadline for repayment has expired - i.e. end of July.

If they have paid up, you could, in theory claim for "distress and inconvenience" - essentially interest on your money between when they should have paid up under the PTR 2019 and when they did pay up + aggravation - at best £100. In my view "the game is not worth the candle".

If they have not paid up that's a different matter - you sue.

Be aware that if you do sue, you could wait a year or more for your case to be called on - meantime the defendant could have gone into liquidation.

Comment

The irony is that if they go into liquidation that would be a good thing since I can then go to ATOL to get my money back.

I have rejected their offer to pay in mid-July (quite frankly I don't trust them) and will initiate legal proceedings at the expiry of 14 days. I have told them to pay me in 14 days and on day 15 I file in the courts. If there is going to be a long queue, better to get into it early!

Comment

Do let the board know how you get on. Before you issue proceedings it would be worthwhile posting up a draft of what you propose to say on the claim form.

Comment

Originally posted by efpom View Post
                Do let the board know how you get on. Before you issue proceedings it would be worthwhile posting up a draft of what you propose to say on the claim form.
                I will. Will probably ask for advice at that time. Let's see if it comes to it. I don't mind waiting for a year for it to come to court - 8% statutory interest is better than anything I am getting at the moment!

Comment

To close this one I got repaid in full in the end in mid July. It was 2 weeks after my 14 day deadline but overall happy!
                  Now on to new car issues (separate thread!)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X