• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Send letter but have harassment case against person?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Send letter but have harassment case against person?

Hi,
    Sorry for long post but hope you can help with some advice.
    About 3 months ago, we set about trying to get a builders quote for house renovation. The builder told me to contact a man who does 'measurements' in order to get an accurate quote. We were told he would charge but despite asking no upfront price was given. We phoned some other builders who told us measurements would cost £40 at most. The man himself refused to give an upfront charge but as we were told it would cost £40 by other builders went with this price.
    We thought this was affordable so invited the man to the house. He came measured up, as he was leaving he told us we would be charged £200 for the measurements!
    We were stunned and called the Consumerline. They told us to wait until we got an invoice in writing and dispute it in writing. Nothing came but this man started to call repeatedly stating he wanted £220 now and that he completed some 'report' for us. We told him we disputed this, only wanted measurements and received no quote, invoice or report from him. He became very angry and demanded the money.
    We got a consumer advocate to phone him to resolve the matter. The man denied he knew us and said he'd never been to our house! However a month later the phone calls from him restarted. We were advised not to engage with him and keep a log of his calls which we did. We still had not received anything from him, only had his name and number. No address, business card, or any paperwork.
    But 2 weeks ago he turned up at the door blocking our driveway and waiting for us after following our car. After this, we contacted the police reporting his behaviour. They said it met the threshold of harassment and that they would speak to him. We have chased up but the police have not yet actioned anything. A few days ago we received a signed for letter from this man. We were not at home.
    As we have opened up a police case against him we are wondering whether we should open the letter? We are worried it's a trap ( I sent you the report - aha you owe me money now!) but also think we need to see whether the letter contains a legal threat/physical threat. However the advice we received to date was to not engage with him at all, this was from a solicitor and a barrister friend who stated he was trying to intimidate us. However now we have something in writing should we look at it?
    What should we do? It has now been 3 months, this is the first correspondence from him. We still have no quote, invoice, paperwork from him. We don't have his address so have been unable to write to him.
    Should we receive the mail?
    Tags: None

This is a tricky case to give any advice on, firstly how did you contact the guy in the first instance, was it over the phone or by email?

Second, were any terms and conditions sent to you before he arrived?

Third, did you get asked to waive any rights you may have had to cancel the contract?
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thank you for replying.

It was over phone

We not asked to waive any cancellation rights.*

We were not sent any terms and conditions.

Update: he has sent another letter today. He had scribbled some drawings (his report) and provided a letter saying we owe him money. We finally have his address so do have the ability to write to him now!

Comment

What did he exactly do for the money he is claiming?

Comment

He got some laser equipment and measured the room. We later obtained a free quote where the man did the same.

The only difference being this man demanding money went upto the loft too.

In his letter sent yesterday he enclosed a report with measurements and hand drawn layout of my house. I intend to show it to a builder to ascertain its value or use (even though we did not ask for it).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X