• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claim for veterinary cost after dog attack

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Claim for veterinary cost after dog attack

    Asking on behalf of friends of mine. Their dog was recently attacked by another dog and sustained some quite serious injuries. The subsequent veterinary costs have now run into thousands; the dog has luckily survived but, as you can imagine, they are looking to recover the cost of this event from the dogs owner.
    The Police have informed my friends that the individual does not have any insurance for the animal and so there is little chance of her being able to pay, at least not willingly. I should add that the animal in question has some form for this kind of thing and the owner has been warned on more than one occasion by the dog warden. The dog has now been destroyed and the Police are looking to prosecute the owner for ABH as I believe there were quite a number of people and dogs injured in the attack with one lady being bitten on the face.
    So, the question is: what is the best route to handle this ? Im guessing that they should send a pre-action letter requesting payment within a time period otherwise they would have to begin legal proceedings ? Would there be any value in spending money on a solicitor or should this be a straight forward enough Money Claim Online process ?
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Hi Georgey48,

    How awful, I hope your hound is on the road to recovery?

    You're correct a letter before action would be the first step. This will be a civil matter. You can do this yourself although there are also some specialist lawyers out there who are used to dealing with these sorts of issues. It may be worth getting some free or reduced fee initial advice?

    Before going down any route however you need to know whether the person has any way of paying, even if you're successful. If possible can you check what asset the person has, or do you know? You could do a search at the HM Land Registry to see if they own their property here:- https://www.gov.uk/search-property-i...-land-registry

    My concern would be, does the person have any funds to pay any claim, if you were successful? Any information about whether they work, own their own home etc would be helpful in assessing whether pursuing them is worth your effort. There may be little point in setting the wheels in motion and increasing your own stress levels, if the person has no means of settling any successful claim made against them.

    Do pop back if we can help any further.

    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

    Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

    If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.


    • #3
      Thank you Peridot, I will pass this on.
      I think this is their concern; whether they will be able to recover any money if she doesn't have anything or if it's only going to increase their expense which is already approaching 3000 !
      p.s. the dog has made a very good recovery considering he's 14, bless his cotton sox.


      View our Terms and Conditions

      LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

      If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

      If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


      1 of 2 < >


      Pre-Action Letters
      First Steps
      Check dates
      Acknowledge Claim
      CCA Request
      CPR 31.14 Request
      Subject Access Request Letter
      Example Defence
      Set Aside Application
      Witness Statements
      Directions Questionnaire
      Statute Barred Letter

      If you received a court claim and would like some help and support dealing with it, please read the first steps and make a new thread in the forum with as much information as you can.

      NOTE: If you receive a court claim note these dates in your calendar ...
      Acknowledge Claim - within 14 days from Service

      Defend Claim - within 28 days from Service (IF you acknowledged in time)

      If you fail to Acknowledge the claim you may have a default judgment awarded against you, likewise, if you fail to enter your defence within 28 days from Service.

      We now feature a number of specialist consumer credit debt solicitors on our sister site, JustBeagle.com
      If your case is over �10,000 or particularly complex it may be worth a chat with a solicitor, often they will be able to help on a fixed fee or CFA (no win, no fee) basis.
      2 of 2 < >

      Need Formal Help?

      Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

      Find a Law Firm

      See more
      See less

      Court Claim ?

      Guides and Letters

      Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

      Find a Law Firm