• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Settlement for part 8 tenancy deposit compensation claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settlement for part 8 tenancy deposit compensation claim

Hi All,

Really helped when I was filing my case.

Finally reached a settlement with the defendant (instructed through their solicitor). I'm happy to accept their offer but want to make sure I do so correctly.

Am I correct that in this case their solicitors should be sending an offer to settle (part 36)
    https://assets.publishing.service.go.../n242a-eng.pdf

I want to ensure that I don't accept the offer and still find myself liable for the defendants costs (their solicitors fees I'm guessing) which is what I gathered would happen if I filed a discontinuance of claim after receiving the settlement.
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...c/n279-eng.pdf

TIA
    Tags: None

You should aim to have a written agreement that states all agreed terms and includes that you will discontinue the claim and the defendant will not seek payment of costs. The agreement should be signed by you and the defendant, or the defendant's solicitor on his behalf.

It sounds like this is outside the ambit of CPR Part 36, so the answer to that question is no.

Well done on getting your case to this stage. It looks as if your claim form has had the desired effect.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      You should aim to have a written agreement that states all agreed terms and includes that you will discontinue the claim and the defendant will not seek payment of costs. The agreement should be signed by you and the defendant, or the defendant's solicitor on his behalf.

It sounds like this is outside the ambit of CPR Part 36, so the answer to that question is no.

Well done on getting your case to this stage. It looks as if your claim form has had the desired effect.
      Thank you, it did. Thanks for the clarification I saw that there were exemptions to CPR Part 36. I've already requested for the offer to be sent in a more formalised matter so I will make sure the terms are ironed out.

Thanks!

Comment

NB your agreed terms should include a date by which the agreed payment is to be made. I suggest wording that the defendant should pay £[amount] by bank transfer into your account [give details] no later than close of business on [date].
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by sally1111 View Post

Thank you, it did. Thanks for the clarification I saw that there were exemptions to CPR Part 36. I've already requested for the offer to be sent in a more formalised matter so I will make sure the terms are ironed out.

Thanks!
          Hi,

Yes this was included in the agreement. Along with a clause on costs so I won't be liable.

Thanks!

Comment

Another simple question. When filling the Form 279 it offers various options to fill e.g claimant or defendant. When selecting claimant do I simple strikethrough the other options or do I circle my options?

Comment

Cross out all that do not apply.

Comment

Originally posted by sally1111 View Post
                Another simple question. When filling the Form 279 it offers various options to fill e.g claimant or defendant. When selecting claimant do I simple strikethrough the other options or do I circle my options?
                Thank you!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X