• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ issues for debt I don't own and served to wrong address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ issues for debt I don't own and served to wrong address

I checked my credit file and I have a CCJ against me for a debt I dont own. I enrolled my daughter into a nursery and requested from my ex that we remove her. He insisted on keeping her in and said he would pay the bills. From that moment on I had no dealings with the nursery as I had moved away from the area. Bills were sent to his home address addressed to him and he ran up £2000 worth of debt.

They apparently served papers to my old business address which I had never resided at and when I asked for copies of the papers the correspondence is between my ex and the nursery at his residential address. The nursery had my new home address and did not at any time post anything to me at my residence.

I explained to the nursery lawyer that I had no dealings with the nursery and clearly the correspondence is between my ex and the nursery. It went quiet and now I see I have a CCJ for £3000 against my name and the supporting paperwork are the letters between my ex and the nursery at his residential address.

Can I have this overturned without having to pay £255 which I cannot afford. I can lose my job over a CCJ so very stressed by this.
    Tags: None

Hi there

There are two ways to set aside a Judgment, either by consent , with the Claimants agreement, or by application to the Court.

If you can get the Claimant to agree, then you can send a consent order to the Court and it costs £100, or you would need to apply and it costs £255 unless you are fee exempt. Look at the Court form EX160 as that will tell you if you are exempt or not.
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thanks so much for your response.

Is there anything I can do to make a claim against the law firm which acted unethically? Can companies process frivolous CCJs without consequence?

My rights under GDPR have been grossly breached by the nursery and the law firm was aware before submitting the CCJ claim because none of the supporting correspondence is addressed to me but my ex. They served papers to a shop I owned 2 years prior when the Nursery had my current home address and always corresponded with me at home when I did have a contract with them. The law firm was aware that the shop address was not a correspondence address and proceeded after I had made contact to apply for the CCJ without serving me any papers at the correct correspondence address or via email. I'm very shocked by this.

If I do the set aside 255 form, can I claim it back during the court process?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comment

Patently obvious. This was the easy way to force you to pay the debt.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X