• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - CABOT Financial (UK) Ltd/Mortimer Clarke Solicitors/Capital One

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Court Claim - CABOT Financial (UK) Ltd/Mortimer Clarke Solicitors/Capital One

Originally posted by Kati View Post
    You could take out number 5 (the PoC says the agreement was "on or around 21/08/2004" - FROM POST #1)

Number 6 ... just leave out the date of assignment (no date mentioned in the PoC)

Apart from that, just make sure the numbers run properly :nod: xx
    Right then, here's what I'm ready to put..

1: I received the claim C1CD485H from the County Court Business Centre Northampton on 15/2/2016

2: Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is
    denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3: This claim appears to be for a Capital One Credit Card
    agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4: It is admitted that the Defendant has previously entered into
    an agreement with Capital One for provision of credit.

4: The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate
    information to enable me to properly assess my position with
    regards the claim.

5. The Claimants statement of case states that the account was
    assigned from Capital One to Cabot Financial (UK) LTD. The
    Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

6. It is denied that Capital One served any Default notice
    on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The
    Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was
    served upon the Defendant.

7: On 2/3/2016 I sent a request for inspection of documents
    mentioned in the claimants statement of case under Civil Procedure
    Rule 31.14 to Mortimer Clarke Solicitors LTD. I requested the
    Claimant
    provide copies of the Agreement, Default Notice and Notice of
    Assignment.

8. Mortimer Clarke Solicitors LTD has not sent any of these
    documents to
    me.

9. On the 2/3/2016 I sent a formal request for a copy of the
    original agreement to Cabot Financial (UK) LTD pursuant to section
    78 of the
    Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

10. The Claimant has failed to comply with s 78 (1) Consumer
    Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of s 78 (6) Consumer Credit Act 1974
    cannot enforce the agreement.

11. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a
    money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any
    allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved
    unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore It is
    expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation
    that the money is owed as claimed.

12. I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the
    necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case
    else the Claim should stand struck out.

13. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the
    Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defence, and
    would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

14. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as
    claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are
    true.

And I still put my name and today's date at the bottom for statement of truth?

Comment

Re: Court Claim - CABOT Financial (UK) Ltd/Mortimer Clarke Solicitors/Capital One

Submitted. Now I just wait right? And if I was to receive anything from Cabot how do you change your defense? Doesn't appear to have an option to amend the defense if they were to send out the documents I requested.

Comment

part 13 of your defence mentions this

Just wait and see

try not to worry right now just wait and see

Comment

Received a reply from Cabot yesterday and a letter from CCBC acknowledging my defense, slightly baffled by the 'What happens next' part of the letter though. Does it mean what it says about if they can't get and provide the requested info then they lose the claim?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by KjGarly View Post
            Received a reply from Cabot yesterday and a letter from CCBC acknowledging my defense, slightly baffled by the 'What happens next' part of the letter though. Does it mean what it says about if they can't get and provide the requested info then they lose the claim?
            If Cabot cannot respond to your defence because it does not have the agreement once the 28 days allowed for response expires the court will stay the claim, you will not be informed of this so you will have to check with the court after 28 days.

Cabot's 40 is pure unadulterated bull shite this is not a formally agreed extension of time in the court process you must still complete all parts of the process as and when necessary as you can be pretty sure if you miss a response or filing date Cabot will seek a judgement by default what ever nonsense they put in their template letters.

nem

Comment

So defence was due by 19th March, 28 days for their reply would make it 16th April so what exactly would I need to do come the 16th of I've not heard or received anything from Cabot?

Comment

I agree that you must follow the court timetable

You have submitted your defence to the court who will then send it to the claimant , Once received they have 28 days to respond and if not the claim will be stayed
                Once stayed they would need to request a lift of the stay but that is pretty much a formality

If after some time they have not requested the stay to be lifted it might be worth applying for a strike out -this costs money and quite a bit these days unless you qualify for fee remission

I mention this because there have been cases where claims are stayed for 12 months or more and then suddenly an agreement pops up and the claim is brought back to life

I personally had one request that took at least 6 months to be processed although it was not a claim. Luckily it has not been tested in court

- - - Updated - - -

So defence was due by 19th March, 28 days for their reply would make it 16th April so what exactly would I need to do come the 16th of I've not heard or received anything from Cabot?
                It is 28 days from when they receive it not from when you submitted it. I would give it a week extra so 23rd April and then check

Comment

You will have to check with the court if you have not had notice that the claimant is going forward with the claim or the claimant has not discontinued the claim you are informed on those two points but not if the court stays the claim.

nem

Comment

Hmmm well in July the debt would have become statute barred, can this still happen if it was stayed and going through a court claim?

Comment

Once a claim is issued the limitations clock stops

What are you grounds for believing it SB
                      Last payment? ( Was it already defaulted)
                      date of default?
                      Date of termination?

There are so many theories on SB that possibly you could argue something depending on your reasoning. Not saying it would work but several strings to your bow etc

Comment

Hmmm well in July the debt would have become statute barred, can this still happen if it was stayed and going through a court claim?
                        A County Court Claim stops the 6 year " clock" on the date it's issued if the claim is unsuccessful the clock starts again from when it stopped.

nem

Comment

I'm at the moment going by what Noddle says with the default date (9/7/2010) and mentioned that in the past but others have put up a copy of Cap Ones t&cs which state it becomes defaulted the day after a missed payment. Trouble is I've no idea when I missed the first payment

The clock doesn't get reset does it if that's the case?

Comment

You could SAR Capital One , or even give them a call and just ask them when the last payment was

It could be that it is one or two months after the last payment which might mean it is SB'd although the DCA will try to say it is from the date of default

Comment

I'm at the moment going by what Noddle says with the default date (9/7/2010) and mentioned that in the past but others have put up a copy of Cap Ones t&cs which state it becomes defaulted the day after a missed payment. Trouble is I've no idea when I missed the first payment

The clock doesn't get reset does it if that's the case?

Yep Capone agreement say that they can default on one missed payment so it can and has been argued that if no further payments / written acknowledgment are made Capone should register the default at that point.How did you make your payments to Capone DD. over bank counter any possibility of checking that way.

You could try a phone call to them and ask for the date this has been successful in the past.

nem

Comment

I think I was paying by DD, tried looking at statements from my online banking but wouldn't go back that far.

Another problem is I have zero details I could give them bar my name and previous address. Not even the card number.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X