• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lloyds/Cabot/Westcot/Orbit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lloyds/Cabot/Westcot/Orbit

Hi all,

Basically around 2008/09 I built up quite a bit of debt due to an ongoing insurance dispute at my property.

At the time I was suffering badly with depression and anxiety and was out of work with also other ongoing family issues.

I had a credit card debt, a loan and a overdraft debt. All amounted to approx £10,000 with Lloyds.

After defaulting on the debt and a large back and forth, asking Lloyds for SAR's etc Lloyds sold the debt on to I believe Westcot or a similar company BLS or something like that. After going back and forth with them I sent a without prejudice letter stating that this was making me ill and that my sister was dealing with this situation and even though I do not acknowledge the debts she will pay £1 per month on each debt. After again a back and forth and I remember at the time they were not happy, I asked for signed proof of the debts etc and they couldn't provide this, they wrote two of the debts off, this was approx 2016/2017 ish. Next thing I move address and I start getting letters from Cabot. They basically state that the debts have been sold on and that the payments being made to BLS and Westcot are not valid as they no longer own the debt. They harass me a lot with calls and non stop letters. I simply ignore the letters and one time I spoke to them briefly by phone when they caught me off guard, I basically said I don't own any debts and when the lady said you do your paying for them, I said that's not me that's me sister, to which she got really mad and said that's fraud.

Anyway this has been going on for years, Cabot continuously sending letters and calls. Then around 5 or 6 months back I have a letter stating that Orbit have been instructed to make a home visit. Today Orbit visit whilst I'm not at home, the guy stands on the top step of my property and is quite intimidating with my wife and leaves a calling card for me to phone.

Now I have a few questions:

1. I have never had a CCJ on my credit file, with my mortgage about to be renewed can they cause issues with this?

2. No money has been paid to Cabot ever can they still enforce this debt?

3. We are currently carers and look after vulnerable children and have our own children, we feel for their welfare as this can be frightening should I send a letter regarding this?

4. At present I am not in full-time work either but we do have a mortgage on a nice home, from the outside looking in the debt collector most probably is rubbing his hands, where does this leave me, will they try to go after our property?

Thank you for all your help, ps should I get my sister to stop paying or will this inflamed the situation?
    Tags: None

Oh yes I forgot to say Orbit didn't contact to make an appointment either like they said on the letter.

Comment

1. I have never had a CCJ on my credit file, with my mortgage about to be renewed can they cause issues with this?

If you don't have any CCJ's then there shouldn't be any problems. The best place to check for CCJ's is https://www.trustonline.org.uk/ Even if Cabot issued proceedings, it would take them some time to get a CCJ.

2. No money has been paid to Cabot ever can they still enforce this debt?

If they've bought the debt, which seems to be the case, yes. That again depends on whether you have a Defence.

3. We are currently carers and look after vulnerable children and have our own children, we feel for their welfare as this can be frightening should I send a letter regarding this?

What you could do, is ask Cabot to 'write off' the debt, explain your personal circumstances, i.e. vulnerable children and have our own children etc. Cost of living crisis etc. Remove the first line, as it's not correct. You can amend the following letter, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://nationaldebtline.org/get-inf...rite-off-debt/

4. At present I am not in full-time work either but we do have a mortgage on a nice home, from the outside looking in the debt collector most probably is rubbing his hands, where does this leave me, will they try to go after our property?

I doubt it, a Court will only ask you to pay what you can afford each month, so if that's £1 a month, so be it.
      You can fill in an I & E form, take into account the 'cost of living' crisis i.e. energy, food etc. Give yourself a 'buffer', just in case things get bad. This is a non - priority debt.

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/

Thank you for all your help, ps should I get my sister to stop paying or will this inflamed the situation?

If your not paying Cabot, then I would. You could get the money back from whoever was being paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mav777 View Post
        Oh yes I forgot to say Orbit didn't contact to make an appointment either like they said on the letter.
        Make a formal complaint against Orbit, follow the complaints procedure on their website.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X