• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot/Nolans (Decree - Scotland)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot/Nolans (Decree - Scotland)

A decree was granted against me in favour of Cabot for £11k (principle sum) in 2016. I had no details about the debt at the time and, since I defaulted on a number of accounts after being made redundant in 2010, was receiving threatening letters from multiple DCAs for the same lender. I took advice on what to do from a Money Advisor which was that I just had to accept it, and I didn't need to attend court. The Decree was granted in my absence and the Advisor agreed repayment at £5pw.

As someone who had a little legal knowledge, this never sat right with me so when I received another writ from the same solicitors (Nolans) re another Cabot account for £3-4k (sorry I don't have the papers to hand) in March 2017, I attended the Court and stated my case. The Sheriff agreed and ruled in my favour that the information should be provided. I hadn't heard anything further about this from the solicitors or Cabot.

I have now called the solicitor to obtain an amount to satisfy the Decree. They advised that they will only issue a letter of satisfaction on receipt of the principle sum, expenses (which is accounted for in the Decree) and the amount outstanding on the second case as the Court linked both cases together. I don't think this is something a Sheriff would do but, nonetheless, I had just received a copy of the Decree from the Court before contacting the solicitors and this is not what is recorded on the Decree.

I intend putting my request in writing to the solicitor separating the two matters, the firstly clearly providing details of the Decree with principle sum and requesting for a figure to satisfy this, together with confirmation they will issue a letter of satisfaction on receipt (I don't trust them to issue this!).

As for the second, I am unsure what to do and would be grateful for advice - they have ignored the ruling of the Court and are underhandedly attempting to take money. I would never have found out about this if I hadn't called and would have continued to pay the instalments. I'm also concerned that they'll take my weekly instalment payments as an acknowledgement of the debt. These payments were in respect of the first account and started Dec 2016 which was before the second action was raised.

After 11 years, I thought the impact of redundancy was coming to an end and I could finally get my life back on track. Now I have more worry and I'm aggrieved at the actions of the 'solicitor'.

Grateful for any advice. Also happy to provide any further points for clarification.

Thanks, Mac
    Tags: None

Celestine

Comment

ScottishSolicitor

Good grief that is very naughty of them indeed. Well done on the second case btw, sounds like Cabot do not agree!

My knowledge of the Scottish system is weak as heck sorry, so the chap I've tagged will know what to do next.
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Can I understand more of the background - have you settled the first decree in full now or are you still paying instalments towards it? What happened the second case in 2017? You said that it called in court and the sheriff ordered more info (was this more paperwork?) provided. Did this happen? What was the outcome of the second case?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X