• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot chasing old debt with Tomlin order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot chasing old debt with Tomlin order

Apologies for posting twice but this seemed the more appropriate forum.

Over 6 years ago, with the help of legalbeagles , my partner and I resolved a large debt with Marlin/restons. A court claim was issued which we responded to and was stayed. While it was stayed we agreed a settlement managed through a Tomlin order. This was all in 2014.

Over the last couple of years Cabot have started chasing this debt again. To be honest, I've just completely ignored the periodic letters as we have actively dealt with this. Cabot have now referred this to a debt collection company. I guess the size of the debt means they think it's worth chasing. I know this is permanently stayed through a Tomlin order but my questions are:

1. does the statute of limitations apply? I know the clock stops when a claim is issued but the original claim, settlement and Tomlin order all took place over 6 years ago so does a new clock start?

2. what's the simplest way to nip this in the bud? Do we just send them a copy of the Tomlin order or should I just continue to ignore and let them waste their time and resources. Could we even make a counter claim against them for trying to claim money on a permanently stayed claim?
    ​​​​
    Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X