• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Financial and ancient Co-op debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Financial and ancient Co-op debt

Hello all

I recently received the attached letter from Cabot Financial (a company I have never previously heard of), welcoming me and asking for money. I assume this relates to a debt I ran up in the late 90s to early 2000s on a Co-op credit card before my life crashed around me and I became homeless in 2002, which would have been the last time they received any payment or acknowledgement from me as they refused my requests to let me reduce my payments or freeze any charges on my account until I could find my feet

I have had no dealing with Co-op since then, other than me buying the occasional box of eggs from their stores. I finally got settled again around 2010 and have been meticulous with my finances since then and have maintained good scores with credit reference agencies.

Therefore I would really prefer to nip this in the bud and it seems quite obvious to me the debt is statute barred. I have prepared a letter for them stating this but wanted to check here if I should be sending this yet or asking for more information. The information on the letter is very scant, however I am 100% certain this is the only debt I have ever incurred with Co-op.

I've redacted identifying info but the amount claimed is a little over £1000.

Thanks for reading.
    Tags: None

You are correct in thinking that if you have had no contact with Cabot or the original creditor regarding this debt, the statute of limitations is 6 years. There are various template letters available for you to use on 'Money Advice' or Citizens Advice websites. Providing you state that you do not accept liability for this debt as you believe that it is statute barred, in any correspondence, and if what you say is correct, you should be fine.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X