• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot/Nolan’s requested pause in simple procedure- advice on how to respond

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot/Nolan’s requested pause in simple procedure- advice on how to respond

Hi I’m looking for some advice. Nolan’s solicitors acting on behalf of Cabot are pursuing action against my husband for £1100 by way of simple procedure in sheriff court. We responded requesting assignation, proof of claim etc, and disputed the case as they failed to provide the information requested. The sheriff ordered Cabot to provide the information we requested to the court, but they failed to do so in time (At least 10 days before the hearing).There is due to be a hearing with the sheriff on Wednesday but today we have received copy of an ‘application to pause’ from Nolan’s/Cabot stating that they are awaiting information ordered by the sheriff from the original creditor. They have however provided one document allegedly the Account sale agreement heavily redacted with my husbands details highlighted. (But date of termination states 2002- but last payment in 2016?!) They have in a letter to the court also suggested that in terms of Promontoria (Ram) ltd v John Moore, 2017 CsOH 88, the service of the current court action itself can be considered intimation of the assignation.

it it looks like we now have to respond to the application to pause- can anyone provide advice on how to respond or what our next steps should be? I would have thought that they would/should have had all the agreements and paperwork in place prior to raising the simple procedure in the first place.

Any my advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Yes you might think they should but its not part of the business model of debt purchase firms like Cabot. The practise is to sue without having the documents as they know most cases are undefended. When a case is defended there is usually a mad scramble to source paperwork. In your case I would argue that a pause should not be granted if the court has made a prior order giving them X days to lodge and they haven't complied. Which court is the case in? Does it call again this Wed?

Comment

Thank you very much for the advice. The case management discussion takes place tomorrow morning (wed 24th). My husband spoke to the court clerk yesterday and they advised that the request to pause had not been received by the court and so the case management discussion would still proceed as planned (and even if did arrive it’s too late to pause). Thanks again

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X