• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Request for CCJ to be set aside

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for CCJ to be set aside

Hello,

I plan to request a CCJ on my file is set aside, would you be able to help me with this?

I never knew the CCJ had been actioned because the DCA (Sigma Red) sent the paperwork to a previous address. I discovered the CCJ when checking my credit file recently, it was applied in July 2013.

The debt in question is a very old T-Mobile debt which I believe should have been statute barred in 2011.
    Opened: 11 Aug '06 with an initial balance of £192

First Payment: Not reported

Terms: Periodical repayments

Status: Defaulted on 10 Aug '10 with a default balance of £192

Last Updated: 1 Apr '15

Here are the details of the CCJ;£281 COURT JUDGMENT

NORTHAMPTON- Case No. 3QH*****

Name: Miss J R

Address:

Type: Court Judgment or Scottish Decree

Order Date: 1 Jul '13

4th floor
    St Katharine's House
    21-27 St Katherine's Street
    Northampton
    Northamptonshire
    NN1 2LH
    01604 470 400

The debt should have been cleared by T-Mobile in the first place since they did not advise me of any cancellation fee's when I asked them prior to cancelling the contract. I wrote them a letter of complaint of which they didn't respond to, and then over the phone they agreed that if I paid £146.98 the remaining £282.27 would be struck off.
    At the time the DCA was Moorcroft, so I passed on the information and they said they will wait to hear from T-Mobile.
    They then sold the debt on to Sigma Red so I had to start all over again, I complained to T-Mobile once more with no response.
    I then moved house and completely forgot about it. When they issued the CCJ I had recently moved and was heavily pregnant. If I received the paperwork I would have had a good case to defend, as I have copies of the emails I sent T-Mobile and the debt should have been statute barred.

I have found the N244 form but I am unsure about what I need to do. It appears I could be liable to pay court fee's of £150, which hardly seems worth it as the CCJ is £281.00.
    Also, will I need a hearing? Do I need to contact Sigma to advise them of my intention to have this set aside?

Thank you!
    Tags: None

Re: Request for CCJ to be set aside

The fee for doing this will be £155.00. You'll need to set out a coherent statement explaining why you have a reasonable prospect of defending the claim. Then, you'll need to prepare a defence. You'll have plenty of help from lots of people on here with everything you need to get this sorted out.

Comment

Hi, thank you. If the decision goes my way in the hearing, are the court costs still payable by me? I don't have £150 to spare at the moment but I don't want to leave it too long.

Comment

Yes, they will remain your responsibility to pay and you're unlikely to recover them from the other side. You may be entitled to a fee remission, so may wish to check this: https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/fees

Comment

Ok yes it looks like I would have to pay which now makes me question if it's worth doing :-( so annoying as I wasn't at fault!
          I suppose the benefit of me doing it will be that my credit score will improve massively... and I will have £126 less to pay.
          Going to have to wait until I can afford it though which could be a while!

Comment

This is what I have written for the n244 evidence box, do you think this would have been a successful defense?

I did not have the opportunity to respond to the claim form because I did not receive it. Having checked my credit file recently, I have discovered this CCJ and seen that it had been issued to a previous address. I have also only just found out that I am able to request that it is set aside.
            I contacted the original creditor to dispute their claim in the form of a letter of complaint in June 2010. After receiving no response, I contacted them via email once again in July 2011. This time I received a response but it was completely irrelevant. I have copies if required as evidence. I was disputing the debt because when I cancelled my T-Mobile contract I was advised that there was no outstanding debt to be paid.
            The claim was opened on 11 August 2006 with an initial balance of £192. I believe that this should have become statute barred in August 2011. This CCJ was applied to my file in July 2013. By July 2013 I was heavily pregnant, had moved home and as I thought that this was statute barred I did not think I had to contact Sigma or T-Mobile with my new address.
            Had I have received the claim form I would have defended the claim in full, and since the debt should have been statute barred, I believe I would have had a real chance to successfully defend the claim.

I appreciate your time and advice. Thank you!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X