• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Attempting to serve Form N39 - Guidance please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempting to serve Form N39 - Guidance please

Hello,
    I am trying to recover some money £2500 for my very elderly mum who was preyed on by an unregistered gas fitter. All the work he carried out had to be rectified by another company. He is still working as a gas fitter.
    To be brief - I obtained a CCJ and CC bailiffs tried to get him to pay. They failed to get him to open the door and when he answered the intercom and found out who they were he just put the phone down. I got a High Court Writ and the sheriffs also failed to get him to respond. So now I have obtained an N39 to get him into court. The issue is that he lives in a flat in a posh location with gates. I can't get anywhere near the front door of his flat and also feel he might be aggressive ( he was told off by the judge at the initial hearing for being rude and obstructive). I tried posting it (not even sure if that is allowed) signed for but Royal Mail couldn't deliver it two days running. I have asked the court for guidance but wondered whether anyone has had a similar situation.
    Thank you
    Tags: None

Is he on the https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Comment

I recall reading/being told (?) sometime ago that if many attempts at serving the N39 failed and you thought the defendant was deliberately avoiding service you could request the court's permission to serve by post

Perhaps others (? rob or atticus ) know

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
        He wasn't at the time and used an old card from a previous employer. He just flashed the card at my mum who assumed it was valid. He was reported by GasSafe to the Health and Safety Executive but due to Covid they didn't prosecute.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          I recall reading/being told (?) sometime ago that if many attempts at serving the N39 failed and you thought the defendant was deliberately avoiding service you could request the court's permission to serve by post

Perhaps others (? rob or atticus ) know
          Thank you. Hopefully the court will respond at some point, although sometimes they don't ever reply.

Comment

You will need to make a formal application (at cost!)

Comment

You say he wasn't on the gas safe register then but is still working as a gas engineer now. Is he on the register now? Hope not if he was reported by GasSafe to HSE. If he is still not on the register he is working illegally.

Comment

Engage a process server. A good one will if necessary provide a witness statement of his attempts to serve, which can be used in an application for substituted service.
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Get Land Registry entries for the flat. If he owns it, apply for a charging order.
                  Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you all for your helpful comments.
                    He is currently Gassafe registered and previously, when he was working illegally they reported him to HSE.He also uses logos such as TrustMark without permission.
                    I have carried out a land registry check and he is a tenant.
                    I did enquire about process serving but it was £250. I will pay this if I have to but will wait to hear from the court. At least I have some time to sort this out, the hearing isn't until October.
                    Thank you again.

Comment

Get a friend to book him to come out to quote for some work. Be there to serve him.

Comment

Brilliant idea! Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X