• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Contesting an application to set aside a Judgement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contesting an application to set aside a Judgement

I brought a MCOL action against an organisation and their solicitor submitted a full Defence but sent it to the wrong email address for MCOL.

As this effectively meant no defence was filed, I applied for and was granted a CCJ by default.

The defendant has now been informed and has re-submitted their defence - to the same incorrect email address - and submitted an N244, supporting witness statement and draft Order for this to be Set Aside.

I wish to contest this - the organisation have a full-time legal team so have no excuses for making this serious breach of CPR. They have also said in their N244 that this was due to an administrative error by MCOL, which is incorrect - all due to their incompetence.

In order to dispute this application to set aside, do I just need to submit an N244 with supporting witness statement?
    Tags: None

No need for n244. You submit a statement giving your reasons for opposing. Include any comments on the defendant's statement in support of its application.

Read the CPR rules and Practice Directions on setting judgements aside so that you have those rules in mind when dealing with this.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Am I missing something? If the solicitor has sent the defence, N244 etc to the same incorrect email address, doesn't that mean the court will not receive them? The ccj will stand and after 1 month will remain on the register for 6 years.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
        No need for n244. You submit a statement giving your reasons for opposing. Include any comments on the defendant's statement in support of its application.

Read the CPR rules and Practice Directions on setting judgements aside so that you have those rules in mind when dealing with this.
        Thank you for your advice, I will submit my witness statement in opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
          Am I missing something? If the solicitor has sent the defence, N244 etc to the same incorrect email address, doesn't that mean the court will not receive them? The ccj will stand and after 1 month will remain on the register for 6 years.
          The Defendant CC'd me on their second attempt at filing their defence via email, in which they also mentioned they would be sending a hard copy via post.

Now whether this is sent to the correct address is another matter, but forewarned is forearmed.

Comment

Further to my earlier posts, it now appears that the Defendant has incorrectly filed their application for the Judgement to be Set Aside - I've spoken with HMCTS several times over the past few weeks and they have no record of this being filed.

I am now looking to pursue enforcement of the CCJ through a High Court enforcement officer, which will incur additional fees that are in theory recoverable from the Defendant.

Are there any implications that I need to consider as a) the defence was filed incorrectly and b) an application for the CCJ to be set aside was also made incorrectly? e.g. will the High Court look at these circumstances should the defendant respond to any enforcement action, or will they likely say 'tough defendant, you haven't complied with the Civil Procedure Rules?

I've waited 4 weeks for the Set Aside application to make it through the courts system, allowing ample time from my perspective, therefore the defendants incompetence surely can't be a defence against further action being taken on my part?

Comment

please ignore the spammer
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by pastie321 View Post
                Further to my earlier posts, it now appears that the Defendant has incorrectly filed their application for the Judgement to be Set Aside - I've spoken with HMCTS several times over the past few weeks and they have no record of this being filed.

I am now looking to pursue enforcement of the CCJ through a High Court enforcement officer, which will incur additional fees that are in theory recoverable from the Defendant.

Are there any implications that I need to consider as a) the defence was filed incorrectly and b) an application for the CCJ to be set aside was also made incorrectly? e.g. will the High Court look at these circumstances should the defendant respond to any enforcement action, or will they likely say 'tough defendant, you haven't complied with the Civil Procedure Rules?

I've waited 4 weeks for the Set Aside application to make it through the courts system, allowing ample time from my perspective, therefore the defendants incompetence surely can't be a defence against further action being taken on my part?
                A follow-up question regarding the use of the N450 form by the County Court - I have found reference to this being used as a means of informing all parties in a case that a Defence has been received by the court (PERRY v. KANG HO WONG; GARY SAMPSON and DAVID MOON and JOHN WILLIAM JONES and ROE SHOPFITTING LIMITED [1996] EWCA Civ 1031):

On the day following the receipt of the defence in the court office Form N450 was sent to the parties, recording that the defence had been received

Is the serving of N450 in response to a defence being received standard practice within the County Courts?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X