• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Contesting the Application

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contesting the Application

Dear LegalBeagles,

First of all, I want to thank you for your earlier help to me on this forum, it was invaluable.
    Running your case all by yourself can be hard, I am really grateful for your kind advice.

Now, to the question. I am the Claimant in a civil claim for damages.
    The Defendant was ordered to disclose some data to me, he did not comply with the order.

Now his solicitor submitted an application for relief from sanctions and for extension of time to comply with the order.
    The solicitor wants the applicaiton to be dealt with "on paper" to make it fast and no hearing.

However, I want to contest this application. What do I need to do to get it in front of the judge instead?
    I have reasons to oppose it. How do I make sure that their application get to the hearing with my evidence in response?
    Do I need to submit the contest and evidence in response also to the court? Will they be able to connect their application and my response to it, or do I need to call them and ask for it?

Many thanks in advance.

Tags: None

Hi,

Normally when you oppose an application you do it in the form of a witness statement. It would be unusual for an application for relief to be heard on the papers because there are very specific requirements the court must consider when deciding whether to grant relief. There is also the issue that hearing the application on the papers means that your deprived from challenging the evidence put forward by the witness who should really be in attendance and available for questions. I'm pretty sure there was a High Court case a few years back that said it is not appropriate for an application for relief from sanctions to be heard without notice or on the papers but I could be wrong and that may be applicable to strike out/summary judgments, although I would argue the same principles apply here.

In an application for relief from sanctions, the court will apply what is known as the Denton principles derived from the Denton v TH White case. It is a 3 stage test: (1) What is the seriousness and significance of the breach, (2) Why did the breach occur i.e. was there a good reason for the breach and (3) evaluate all of the circumstances in the case as to whether relief should be granted or not.

I'm assuming the solicitor has put in a witness statement, is this on behalf of the solicitor or the defendant and does any of the statement or evidence mention or otherwise cover the 3 stage test at all? Also, has the defendant only just instructed the solicitor to make the application or were they already represented?

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks, Rob.

Yes, I also think it is strange that they want the application for relief from sanction to be dealt with on paper. I suspect they try to deprive me of the ability to contest it. I already told them before I was going to apply for sanctions.

I am aware that I have to produce a Witness Statement to contest it, but should I send it somewhere else than only to the defendant? I need to make sure that the Court deals with the application in the hearing.

Yes, the Defendant's solicitor, who has been assisting him since even before the proceedings, produced two Witness statments, one from the Defendant himself and one from herself, where she deals with Dentons 3-stage test. There are false statements made there under oath.

Comment

I emailed the Court and said that I wanted to oppose the application and that I wanted a hearing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X