• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Suing the right entity - Car Dealer changed their trading name to avoid detection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suing the right entity - Car Dealer changed their trading name to avoid detection

There is a car dealer that advertises over 100 cars and home delivery on all major car sites. They had RAC Approved Dealer status. I bought a car online. I paid into a bank account under the dealer’s name. I cancelled the contract before delivery after finding out the car had been misrepresented. I asked for a full refund. They immediately stopped communicating with me.

After some investigation including phoning their landlord, I discovered that this dealer had adopted their new trading name late last year because they have horrendous reviews and Outstanding CCJs. It took almost one month for RAC to confirm that they were dealing with a trading arm of a limited company. Or at least that is the business relationship they have with RAC. RAC has since removed their Approved Dealer status.

I sent pre action letters to the limited company t/a the dealer name. It was signed for. Today I got a legal letter from a firm that provide ‘advice and assistance to our motor trade members’. To wit: “Our member is not associated with the company ***** and has no contract with you for the sale of the vehicle.”

This is not a case of mistaken identity: they are the same people. Is it possible that they set up their bank account as a sole trader or partnership but adopt a trading arm for use with established accounts like RAC?

What can I do to ensure I am suing the right ‘entity’ without wasting too much time and money? Should I start the Money Claim and name who I believe to be involved and leave it to them to respond?
    Tags: None

I would start with the details on the contract documents. Do these show a limited company? If so, is the company registration number shown? If so (again) check on companies house using that registration number - that is one detail that, unlike company names, cannot be changed.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

No the details of the contract did not indicate that the dealer has anything to do with the limited company. That is why it took me a few days to find out who they really are.

Comment

Take great care about the names used.

Comment

Can you post the order form or contract, with your details redacted?
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks but the contract does not mention the limited company at all. There is a slight possibility they set up the bank account as a sole trader but I think it unlikely esp as RAC has identified them as Limited Company T/A. As I understand it that is a violation in and of itself as they should be utterly transparent about the connection. They have gone to great lengths to conceal their identity but they still left bread crumbs...and those lead to the limited company, their directors and no one else.
            Last edited by Zeitgeist; 18th May 2023, 06:39:AM.

Comment

Is that "Lawgistics" who responded to your LBA?
              ​​​​​​​Was the vehicle actually delivered?

If your contract only states the name of the dealer, and you paid into an account in his name, it seems pretty clear that he is the person you need to take action against.
              Of course if he has no assets ......

​​​​​​​

Comment

Yes it was Lawgistics. The car was never delivered. The account is in the name of the dealership - not an individual. The problem is determining if the bank account was set up as the trading arm of the limited company - or if one of the syndicate opened it as a sole trader. Either way -and despite evidence to the contrary- they are disputing that they are connected. Trading Standards are involved.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X