• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Question about procedures of small court Back-to-Back small claims case BTMM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about procedures of small court Back-to-Back small claims case BTMM

Hi all,

I am seeking information on what to expect and how to prepare for a self-litigation court session for a small claims case in a Back-to-Back format using BTMM. Does anyone know what I can expect, or what I should prepare? An opening statement, perhaps? I don't know where to start, so if anyone can share any resource that would be grand!

Thanks a lot!
    Tags: None

What do you mean by "back to back format" and BTMM?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      What do you mean by "back to back format" and BTMM?
      Less what I mean then what the courts means. In short:

"Back to back" format is also known as a tandem sitting. It is where two or more judges g over over a list of cases for the day.

"BTMM" is a remote conference solution, quite popular since COVID to use in UK courts.

Comment

OK, so this will be a hearing of your case and no other. You may be sitting round waiting for your case to be called for hearing.

I have not yet encountered BTMM. I have conducted hearings using Zoom and Teams. no doubt this is similar.

Prepare for your hearing.

Know what the issues are, and in particular what questions the judge will need to decide.

Know in respect of each such question what the applicable law is.

Understand your opponent's case and evidence on each point. What are its strengths and weaknesses?

Understand your case and evidence on each point. What are its strengths and weaknesses?

Write down your explanation of why the judge should decide in your favour.

Be prepared to answer questions, particularly from the judge.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

OK, so this will be a hearing of your case and no other. You may be sitting round waiting for your case to be called for hearing.

I have not yet encountered BTMM. I have conducted hearings using Zoom and Teams. no doubt this is similar.

Prepare for your hearing.

Know what the issues are, and in particular what questions the judge will need to decide.

Know in respect of each such question what the applicable law is.

Understand your opponent's case and evidence on each point. What are its strengths and weaknesses?

Understand your case and evidence on each point. What are its strengths and weaknesses?

Write down your explanation of why the judge should decide in your favour.

Be prepared to answer questions, particularly from the judge.

Thank you, this is very useful.

Would you happen to be able to share any references that I should read in preparation? Besides taking compulsory property and int. law classes in uni, I have never practised law, so any beginner's guide/ handbook etc. would be great. For instance, but importantly, do I need to prepare an opening statement?

Thanks once again.

Comment

Here, try chapters 15 and 16: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you and sorry for saying so belatedly

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X