• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small claims for DSAR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small claims for DSAR

Tl;dr Can I use N1 “small claims” form for non-compliance with the DSAR (I would like a small monetary penalty, but also to have them ordered to comply with DSAR).

I filed a data subject access request against a major UK ISP in May.

This was the first (and only) DSAR filed, so no question of abusing the process. I used their online DSAR form.

They have completely mucked be me around, I’ve follow-up many times. Mid-August they finally sent me an email claiming to have fulfilled my request and directing me to download a zip file, the password for which would be posted to me.

I’ve not received the anything in the post. I’ve followed-up with them via Twitter and email, they claim to be looking into it for a week now, but no explanation forthcoming. It’s been well over 90 days since I originally filed the request.

I’m pretty fed up with how much they’ve mucked me around, its fairly apparent they don’t really give a shit about the GDPR. I made a complaint ages ago ICO (when they first took more than 30 days to do anything), and it became clear why they don’t give a shit, the ICO hasn’t got back to me, and doesn’t levy any penalties anyway).

I (a) would like my data and (b) am pretty annoyed that the company basically considers compliance optional. The challenge is (and no doubt they’re aware of this), that any damages I could claim are quite likely to be small, so hard to involve a solicitor. I’m wondering if I can send them a letter before action and then bring a claim in “small claims court” asking for a small amount of damages + court order to comply but its not very clear if the N1 form can be used for anything other than monetary damages.

I had no idea the GDPR rights were effectively such a joke.

One extra wrinkle is that I asked for my phone recordings, which they state on their website are deleted after 180 days, so by the time this actually gets to court its quite likely deleted anyway. I’m hoping that a court proceedings might force them to comply and settle. I don’t think the zip contains any phone recordings anyway, since the file size is tiny, but that’s a separate issue.
    Tags: None

refute a download and request paper copy> also go to the ICO site and make a formal complaint as they have failed in their duties and Coivid is not an excuse Make a complaint | ICO

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X