• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Discontinuance - multi track proposed - URGENT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discontinuance - multi track proposed - URGENT

Hi Im in real trouble - I have issued a claim which is likely to end up being allocated to Multi Track. Due to this and having seen the defence ( I would need expert advice to win) I would like to discontinue. The solicitors for the other party have stated that if this proceeds to court they will seek a costs order. If I discontinue what are the likely costs ? they never replied to our letter before claim - so we issued what should have been a small claim which has turned out to be suited to multi track ! They said they would ask for costs IF it went to court ?? I actually sent the defendant 2 x email LBCs and 2 in the post over 3 months... all ignored

Any advice would be amazing ... thank you so much
    Last edited by Apollo14LMP; 3rd November 2020, 18:40:PM.
    Tags: None

Start at the beginning and tell us about it.

Comment

Once upon a time ... a company had their database hacked and gave out all our information payment cards addresses name address and everything. So they wrote and told us about it, Not happy due to the potential consequences of the data being made public we issued a letter before claim. Heard nothing due to the pandemic we were reasonable and sent another LBC. These were emailed and posted to them twice.

Nothing back no reply ...issued a claim thinking it would land in the Small claims track - wrong ! it hasnt its being defended. I would need a data expert 3 10 K to prove their negligence. The court are looking at multi track !

No defence received only a Directions questionnaire - spoke to their solicitor sent me a defence.

Realising this wasnt going to be easy or cheap I want to discontinue but - the cost of this could be very damaging - they did say in their email - XXX will apply for a costs order if this matter goes as far as a court hearing. So I want out but I dont really see why I should pay their costs as they ignored all pre litigation protocol ...

I am looking at ways of deflecting costs I cannot cover ... well a pound a week or something ...

I am aware that some people have been successful in cost situation as the other party did not comply with CPR rules ... so there we go ...

I have written asking for hands down ... but not heard ... so any advice ... thank you

https://keoghs.co.uk/keoghs-insight/...e-is-not-bliss pinning hope on what this article discusses ...
      Last edited by Apollo14LMP; 3rd November 2020, 21:15:PM.

Comment

It would seem from your started threads that you are an experienced litigator. I am, therefore, surprised that you did not foresee the possibility of an adverse costs order.

Comment

How much could the order amount too..... im never playing with fire again .... be warned.... will ignoring the lba help .....

Comment

CPR Liability for costs

(1) Unless the court orders otherwise, a claimant who discontinues is liable for the costs which a defendant against whom the claimant discontinues incurred on or before the date on which notice of discontinuance was served on the defendant.

----
            If a costs hearing is held, you could argue that in the absence of any response to the LBA, you had no choice but to issue proceedings and, in consequence, the court should make no Order as to costs.

On the amount of costs - difficult to say, but ball park figure 5 hrs at £500 per hour + vat.

Comment

Efpom thank you very much !!!

NO more legal claims for me.
              Last edited by Apollo14LMP; 4th November 2020, 11:25:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X