• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Simple Procedure Respondent has 'gone away'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Procedure Respondent has 'gone away'

I started a Simple Procedure in Scotland (formerly referred to as small-claims court) against a sole trader who owes us money.* The citation was sent to the business address, it was forwarded to a private address, but the letter was returned to the sheriff court marked 'Gone Away'.* * *We know the sole trader has closed the business we were dealing with (we have found out now that he has a pattern of closing businesses and starting up again) but we also know he is still running a different business out of the address the citation was sent to.* I also believe he does live at the address the citation was forwarded to but has seen the documents contain a citation and has simply returned them.* Without paying out any more money is there anything else we can do to try to get the documents served.* Thanks***
    Tags: None

So if it was returned "Gone Away" then that means it was the postman who returned it, not the respondent. Now this could be that the sole trader told them that the business no longer operated there, as it is unlikely that the postman knew that in Scotland, you can pursue a sole trader as though they were an individual.

Amend the claim form so that you are pursuing the individual, not the business, and have it re-served as such. I would also get it served by Sheriff Officer as you will be more likely to get a feel for what the prospects for recouping what you are due will be.
    ----- DISCLAIMER -----

I am a former trainee Sheriff Officer who became disillusioned with the Scottish legal system so left the industry. I will offer insights from my first-hand experience, but *I am not a legal professional and you should always seek independent legal advice before acting on anything I say*.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X