• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Request stay of proceedings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request stay of proceedings?

Hi

I intend to bring a claim against the police for:-

Misfeasance in office
    Trespass
    Damages

I am on the 11th hour with the claim and have not yet started the pre-action protocol! Having looked at the pre-action protocol for professional negligence, I note that it provides a total of 3 months and 21 days in which to provide a full response to the intended claim, which would take it well past the limitation period.

I note that I can issue the claim and then apply for a stay of proceedings in order to allow the pre-action protocol to be completed; however, I cannot seem to find any information about this? I assume I would use form N244 to request the stay and simply detail therein the reasons for the request (i.e. to allow time for the pre-action protocol to be completed)? I can't seem to find out what the fee would be for the application?

I have also looked at standstill agreements, which seems to be just an agreement between the parties and so would not carry any fee; is this correct? This would obviously be preferable, but I do not trust the police and so am concerned about using this method. Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

Tags: None

Hi

Just wondering if anybody can assist with this?

Thanks.

Comment

Hi

Would really appreciate it if somebody is able to assist with this?

Many thanks.

Comment

I don't think a standstill agreement is the way to go as CPR requires a stay of proceedings.
        If applying with consent of defendants the cost of N244 is £100, but £255 without consent

If you are on low income you may qualify for remission of fees (https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-tribunal-fees)

Comment

Hi DES8

Thanks for your reply and the information.

In regard to standstill agreements - it was my understanding, from research, that these are quite common now when a Claim is close to the limitation period, as it is a way of agreeing to stop time and allow for the parties to complete the pre-action protocol with a view to resolving the issue without court proceedings or, failing this, ensure that the parties are fully informed of the full details of the Claim and defence prior to bringing it to court. It was my understanding that the necessity to request a stay would only apply if the Claimant chose to issue the claim prior to completing the pre-action protocol. Is this not correct?

Thanks

Comment

Standstill agreements are contracts and need to be drafted correctly to be water tight.
            You are up against police lawyers and they will possibly drag out the drafting and signing of the written contract.
            IMO it is much safer for a LiP to obtain a court order for a stay

Comment

Ok, thanks. I was gong to try to obtain a copy of the draft standstill agreement from Practical Law website and 'tweak' it so that I could provide the initial draft to the police, but I understand your thinking with this

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X