• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Opposing a set aside application

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opposing a set aside application

Hi,

I'm not quite sure what to do about this.

I won a default judgement back in December 2018 which was set aside as the defendant said that the paperwork for the hearing had gone to a neighbours address so the judge set it aside.

At that hearing rhe judge asked the Defendant if he could produce a defence in 2 weeks which he said he could. We were then sent paperwork setting out a date for that and if that was not adhered to then he would award a default judgement to me.

We also got notice that a full hearing would take place at a later date along with dates for all documents to be sent and the court fee that I would have to pay.

That didnt happen so I applied for the judgement and got it.

I then phoned the court and asked if the hearing would still take place and was told no to which I got a letter saying the hearing had been vacated.

I sent in the High Court Baliffs who collected the money owed to me and charged them their fees.

On the same day the Defendant applied to have that judgement set aside because they didnt receive the letter about having to send a defence in within the 2 weeks as agreed at the last set aside hearing plus they phoned the court because they thought the case had been dropped as the hearing letter said vacated. They said the court told them it had been vacated because I had not paid the fee.

Now the High Court company have told me that I need to add on their fees to my claim. Presumably this will only happen if it is set aside as the HC company already hold the money.

So now do I send a witness statement to the court and the defendant stating that I will be opposing this set aside (I have plenty of dates and reasons that I wont fill this thread with) and that I will be adding the HC costs and the interest since it was collected?

Sorry to be so long winded... These things can become so complicated!

Thank you

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X