• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

No defence to CPR part 8 claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No defence to CPR part 8 claim

I started CPR part 8 claim against landlord for not protecting tenancy deposit. Landlord filed acknowledgement of service late after passing 14 days and now 28 days have passed and defendant not filed any defence.

I called court to get an update and court officer told me that I can send a request for judgment as defendant not filed any defence.

I think default judgments don't work in part 8 claims. Is this true ? Does court would arrange a hearing and I have to go for hearing even no defence or I would get a judgment without hearing?

Thanks for your help.
    Tags: None

You are correct that default judgment does not apply to Part 8 claims. Court staff are not legally trained and therefore you should always consult the Civil Procedures Rules as a starting point (or if you are really lost try Google).

CPR 8.1(5) says:

"Where the claimant uses the Part 8 procedure he may not obtain default judgment under Part 12."
    Regarding your point that no defence has been filed or received, I would refer you to CPR 8.9 (Modifications to the general rules):

(a) provision is made in this Part for the matters which must be stated in the claim form and the defendant is not required to file a defence and therefore –

(i) Part 16 (statements of case) does not apply;

(ii) Part 15 (defence and reply) does not apply;

(iii) any time limit in these Rules which prevents the parties from taking a step before a defence is filed does not apply;

(iv) the requirement under rule 7.8 to serve on the defendant a form for defending the claim does not apply;
    So there's your answer but I would point out that the landlord must file (with the court) and serve (on you) any evidence which he relies on (see CPR provisions below).

CPR 8.5
    (1) The claimant must file any written evidence on which he intends to rely when he files his claim form.

(2) The claimant's evidence must be served on the defendant with the claim form.

(3) A defendant who wishes to rely on written evidence must file it when he files his acknowledgment of service.

(4) If he does so, he must also, at the same time, serve a copy of his evidence on the other parties.

(5) The claimant may, within 14 days of service of the defendant’s evidence on him, file further written evidence in reply.

(6) If he does so, he must also, within the same time limit, serve a copy of his evidence on the other parties.

CPR 8.3

(1) The defendant must –

(a) file an acknowledgment of service in the relevant practice form not more than 14 days after service of the claim form; and
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Does court hearing is a must in this case even defendant not filed any defence and not served anything on claimant? Do I have to turn up for hearing? Does part 8 claim have mediation?

Comment

Generally, yes a hearing will take place unless the court decides of its own initiative that a hearing is not necessary and/or if both sides agree that the claim should be decided on the papers. If you are talking about something similar to the small claims mediation service then no, your mediation will be up to you to negotiate with the landlord whether through a formal mediation process or settlements talks with the landlord.

Based on the questions you're asking I get the feeling you might be getting cold feet about all of this? Or maybe I'm wrong.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I am little bit nervous due to uncertainty , landlord also not returned my deposit and court has discretionary power to order to return the deposit if I win and I am not sure what I should do.

Either I wait to court make decision in part 8 claim including return of my deposit or I start a new claim or I submit my claim direct to the same county court who is dealing with part 8 claim so both claims would be dealt same time?

What is the right option?

Comment

Issuing a second claim is likely to amount to an abuse of process when you have already commenced proceedings for the same matter. I would caution against it but it's your claim and entirely up to you.

Since you've issued a Part 8 claim you now need to go through the process of waiting for the court to progress your claim. You would be wise to contact the court and confirm whether the defendant has filed any evidence in relation to the Part 8 claim. Make a note of who you had spoken to and the time of call and if its possible, to update the court file to say that you've called to confirm if evidence has been filed.

You can then use that if the landlord chooses to rock up on the day with whatever evidence he has to say that the deposit shouldn't be returned. No evidence files should mean easy win since there's nothing to argue.
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Today I called the court and found out that defendant did submit evidence with acknowledgement of service but he not served evidence on claimant which he must have done according to CPR 8.5. I requested court to send me a copy of evidence.

Comment

Hi, Defendant submitted acknowledgment of service and evidence late and also not served AoS and evidence on claimant. I have written to the court to provide me evidnece and also not filed defence within 28 days. Can I use all these out of time fillings in my favour in the court?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X