• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unknow CCJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknow CCJ

Could I have some advice please?
    I have recently been turned down for a mortgage & on checking my credit file I found a recent ccj for £4400 from Cabot & Restons solicitors!!
    I have had no outstanding debt since 2007 when I divorced & everything was settled. I currently have a small person loan from Barclays that I pay monthly & I pay my credit card off in full every month, so it was a shock to be declined for a mortgage & I have worked for the same company full time for nearly 5 years.
    Around 6 years ago I had a letter from a debt collection agency & I wrote to them asking for proof of the debt to which I received a reply saying it was from an old credit card but they could find no paper work to prove i owed the debt & I heard nothing from them since.
    I have moved twice since but all my addresses are on my credit file & yet I have had no communication about the ccj until I checked my credit file after the refusal of a mortgage!!!
    The ccj has only been on file for 8 months & as I had no communication from them I wondered if it is legal for them to apply for a ccj if they had my address but didnt contact me & how can I challenge it as I don't know what the debt is for? Plus is it an easy process to challenge or will I need to pay for legal advice?

Many Thanks

Richard
    Last edited by dickyboy1969; 17th October 2016, 20:58:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Unknow CCJ

Hi Richard & welcome to LB

Looks like the alleged debt might have been be statute-barred, & if the judgment was by default because you were not at the address per the claim form, you could possibly have it set aside.
    Some info on set aside http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...lication-notes
    Some info on Statute barred http://debtcamel.co.uk/statute-barred-debt/
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks for that advice, can I ask a few more q's to clarify what I need to do.
      Do I need to file form N244 with the court where the ccj was issued or will any court do? Do I need to contact Cabot & Restons to notify them of my challenge or will the court tell them?

many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dickyboy1969 View Post
        a recent ccj for £4400 from Cabot & Restons solicitors!!

. . . Around 6 years ago I had a letter from a debt collection agency & I wrote to them asking for proof of the debt to which I received a reply saying it was from an old credit card but they could find no paper work to prove i owed the debt & I heard nothing from them since
        Did you send a formal s.77-79 CCA Request to the DCA or was it a random "prove it" letter?

Have you kept the letter from them which said that they could not find any paperwork in relation to this debt?

I'm sorry to hear that you were turned down for a mortgage due to this issue. Is the property purchase lost or will the seller/lender wait until you sort out this problem?

Di

Comment

Originally posted by dickyboy1969 View Post
          Do I need to file form N244 with the court where the ccj was issued or will any court do? Do I need to contact Cabot & Restons to notify them of my challenge
          It's always a good idea to try to get the Claimant or their solicitors to consent to a set side first. That way you avoid the need for an application to the court and the costs involved with that palaver.

Your chances of success will depend on you gathering as much evidence as possible to prove that they should have known where you were living when the county court summons was issued.

If your current address is on your CRA file and you're on the Electoral Roll and have other credit (bank account etc) registered at that address then that would be a good start.

Di

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have kept the paper work & Cabot wrote to say that they were waiting for capital one to provide them with the requested information about the debt & I never heard back from them. I wrote to them asking what the debt was for & who it is owed to as I didnt know anything about s77-79.
            I gave up on the mortgage & will wait now until I get this ccj sorted, whether that be set aside or paid up If I do owe it?

Thanks
            Richard

Comment

My current address in on my credit file, along with information about my back account, credit card, personal loan, utilities etc, so they had no excuse to not have my current address.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X