• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received judgement - forgot to enter defence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received judgement - forgot to enter defence

Issue Date: 11th feb
    Amount approx: £2092
    Claimant: CABOT FINANCIAL
    Solicitor: WRIGHT HASSALL
    Original Creditor: CAPITOL ONE
    Particulars of Claim: the claimants claim is for debts arising from consumer credits act 1974 agreements. the claimant is an assignee of the following debts, notice having been given to the defendant in writing. amount 1907.71. despite demands for payment the sum remains due. the claimant therefore claims the sum.
    Is the debt Statute Barred? no
    List any letters you have sent: CCA and CPR request
    Any Other Info: Acknowledgement of service received at court 15/02/16. Letter received from Wright Hassall dated 23/02/16 stating that they note the value of the claim is less than £10,000 and likely to be allocated to small claims track and is therefore likely that CPR r.31.14 will not apply. Letter sent by Cabot dated 16/03/16 stating they had no information on file but they had requested details. Stated account on hold and credit agreement unenforceable. Received judgement from Northampton 16/04/16 stating I had not replied to the claim form and must pay £50 a month by instalments till debt paid. Think I have missed putting defence in date wise. Have been dealing with a family matter for a couple of weeks as a priority.
    Tags: None

Re: Received judgement - forgot to enter defence

Apologies, wrong info given.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I'll try again, lol!

What exactly are you querying here?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi Welcome to LB,
        You had 28 days from the date of issue of the claim failure to enter a defence leaves the claimant free to apply for judgement by default.
        What do you want to do about this?
        Options:

1. Bite the bullet and pay as ordered ( if you don't pay then the claimant can use various methods to enforce the judgement)

2. Apply for the judgement to be set aside ( Fee £225) You need solid grounds for the application and you will need to have a defence to the original claim " that has a reasonable" chance of success.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
          Hi Welcome to LB,
          You had 28 days from the date of issue of the claim failure to enter a defence leaves the claimant free to apply for judgement by default.
          What do you want to do about this?
          Options:

1. Bite the bullet and pay as ordered ( if you don't pay then the claimant can use various methods to enforce the judgement)

2. Apply for the judgement to be set aside ( Fee £225) You need solid grounds for the application and you will need to have a defence to the original claim " that has a reasonable" chance of success.

nem
          Hi Nem
          Many thanks for your reply. What cheeses me off more than anything is that I am so focused at the moment dealing with a family issue that I just totally forgot about dates. Also having Cabot say that they have no details of any agreement onboard as well!! What are classed as solid grounds and reasonable chance of success in setting aside?

Comment

Hi Nem
            Just another quick question. If I do have to bite the bullet and pay, I am not in a financial position to pay the monthly amount that is being asked. Would I be able to apply to the court and seek a reduction in monthly payments.
            Many thanks for your advice and help.

Comment

[QUOTE=al_jh;641867] Nem
              Many thanks for your reply. What cheeses me

Ok we can't claim that you did not receive the claim as issue was acknowledged.

Much would depend on " how serious " the family problem was and how it affected your actions or lack of action e.g. you could have asked for an extension of time to file using the family problem as a reason for the request.

It appears that the claimant did not have the document request via sect.78 CCA 1974 and was at the time of judgement was technically unable to enforce the debt. A possible defence imo.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by al_jh View Post
                Hi Nem
                Just another quick question. If I do have to bite the bullet and pay, I am not in a financial position to pay the monthly amount that is being asked. Would I be able to apply to the court and seek a reduction in monthly payments.
                Many thanks for your advice and help.
                Yes, you will have to prepare an " exhaustive" income and expenditure statement, but the old saying " they cannot have what you do not'"
                nem

Comment

[QUOTE=nemesis45;641872]
                  Nem
                  Many thanks for your reply. What cheeses me

Ok we can't claim that you did not receive the claim as issue was acknowledged.

Much would depend on " how serious " the family problem was and how it affected your actions or lack of action e.g. you could have asked for an extension of time to file using the family problem as a reason for the request.

It appears that the claimant did not have the document request via sect.78 CCA 1974 and was at the time of judgement was technically unable to enforce the debt. A possible defence imo.

nem
                  Hi nem
                  Family matters are always difficult for others to judge as they are always paramount to you and do take over your life at times.
                  I was thinking that Cabot not having any relevant documentation at the time the claim was made might be the way to go. If I do decide to go that route in trying getting it set aside, how does the £200+ payment to court work.
                  Many thanks

Comment

[QUOTE=al_jh;641875]
                    Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                    Hi nem
                    Family matters are always difficult for others to judge as they are always paramount to you and do take over your life at times.
                    I was thinking that Cabot not having any relevant documentation at the time the claim was made might be the way to go. If I do decide to go that route in trying getting it set aside, how does the £200+ payment to court work.
                    Many thanks
                    The £225 fee is now the standard charge for an application to the court (form N244) there are fee remissions available but qualification is quite tough.

nem

Comment

Hi nem
                      Thanks for your time. I will ponder this over the weekend and weigh up paying £225 for the application and risk losing money I well can't afford, or just taking the judgement on the chin. If I get in touch with court requesting lowering payments, could I do that by email to Northampton or does it have to be more formally by letter. Cheers.

Comment

Hi nem
                        Thanks for your time. I will ponder this over the weekend and weigh up paying £225 for the application and risk losing money I well can't afford, or just taking the judgement on the chin. If I get in touch with court requesting lowering payments, could I do that by email to Northampton or does it have to be more formally by letter. Cheers.
                        More formally in writing using signed for post.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X