• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Out of Juristiction ? And multiple

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of Juristiction ? And multiple

Last year I signed a letter of engagement with a Solicitor's firm (a Ltd company). It was so I could get some advice re a Probate matter that has been dragging on with another form of solicitors. The letter set out some terms which included agreeing fees on an ongoing basis and an estimate of the number of hours. I received a bill from them for more than double the number of hours and I disputed it. They replied by saying that they had informed me that they had gone over the estimated hours (in an email as a one liner that I did not actually read) and to pay up or they would go to Court and sue me. Within the week, they had issued a letter naming me and 2 other members of my family as join defendants.

I am the only one that signed their letter of engagment and in fact, the other members of my family were not involved in me seeking advice.

I asked for their complaint procedure which I have followed and written to complain about numerous issues I have, including their invoice being very vague, inconsitancies in their charging - charging 2 hours for a 3 page email, charging nearly 300 quid an hour for a junior solicitor sending me email, and not having the staff working in the practice that they claim to (not having the experince that they said they did). They have not acknowlded receiving my letter of complaint despite me emailing them twice to ask for confirmation, and sending a message on skype which I know they have received. It has been a week since they received my letter and their proceedure states that will acknowlege within 3 days.

I live in France, and I am the 1st named defendant. They have ticked the box on the claim form stating that "I state that each claim made against the defendant to be served and included in the claim form is a claim
    which the court has power to determine under the Judgments Regulation and the defendant is a party to an agreement conferring exclusive jurisdiction within article 25 of the said Regulation" which is not true.

The order was served on me locally, although several pages were missing, and the pages of copy of the letter of engagement and their terms and conditions are illegible.

I am planning on sending back the acknowledgement of service forms and disputing the court's juristiction.

My questions are , would they face sanctions from the court for deliberately misleading the court about who the defendants are and lying about there being an agreement about juristiction ?
    Tags: None

Re: Out of Juristiction ? And multiple

Good morning, welcome to LB,

It looks like they are referring to a " European Enforcement Order" enabling a UK judgement to be enforced in any EU country.

nem

Comment

What has been sent to me is a Claim Form from the County Court Money Claims Centre.

Comment

Originally posted by deadzeb View Post
        Last year I signed a letter of engagement with a Solicitor's firm (a Ltd company). It was so I could get some advice re a Probate matter that has been dragging on with another form of solicitors. The letter set out some terms which included agreeing fees on an ongoing basis and an estimate of the number of hours. I received a bill from them for more than double the number of hours and I disputed it. They replied by saying that they had informed me that they had gone over the estimated hours (in an email as a one liner that I did not actually read) and to pay up or they would go to Court and sue me. Within the week, they had issued a letter naming me and 2 other members of my family as join defendants.

I am the only one that signed their letter of engagment and in fact, the other members of my family were not involved in me seeking advice.

I asked for their complaint procedure which I have followed and written to complain about numerous issues I have, including their invoice being very vague, inconsitancies in their charging - charging 2 hours for a 3 page email, charging nearly 300 quid an hour for a junior solicitor sending me email, and not having the staff working in the practice that they claim to (not having the experince that they said they did). They have not acknowlded receiving my letter of complaint despite me emailing them twice to ask for confirmation, and sending a message on skype which I know they have received. It has been a week since they received my letter and their proceedure states that will acknowlege within 3 days.

I live in France, and I am the 1st named defendant. They have ticked the box on the claim form stating that "I state that each claim made against the defendant to be served and included in the claim form is a claim
        which the court has power to determine under the Judgments Regulation and the defendant is a party to an agreement conferring exclusive jurisdiction within article 25 of the said Regulation" which is not true.

The order was served on me locally, although several pages were missing, and the pages of copy of the letter of engagement and their terms and conditions are illegible.

I am planning on sending back the acknowledgement of service forms and disputing the court's juristiction.

My questions are , would they face sanctions from the court for deliberately misleading the court about who the defendants are and lying about there being an agreement about juristiction ?
        Some of us L.Beagles know about probate matters, would you care to tell us the facts as concisely as you can. Why in particular have they been dragging on, what is the contentious issue?

Comment

What has been sent to me is a Claim Form from the County Court Money Claims Centre.
          I see you intend to acknowledge service which needs to be done within 14 days of the issue date on Form N1, if you don't the claimant can apply for summary judgement if that happens and you fail t pay the claimant can then seek a European Enforcement Order meaning the debt will enforced in France.

Can you either post a redacted copy of the claim form or type the Particulars of Claim here please.

nem

Comment

The Probate matter is being dealt with the High Court at the moment so I should not post about it in an open forum.

Comment

The Probate matter is being dealt with the High Court at the moment so I should not post about it in an open forum.
              Has there been an injunction about its discussion?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X