• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Any help and advice, much appreciated, court papers received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any help and advice, much appreciated, court papers received

Hi,
    I have received county court paperwork 3 days ago dated 02 March for around £6000 in total (including fees) from Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd, the solicitors are listed as Lowell solicitors. Today I have received a "Notice of claim" letter from Lowell solicitors dated 7th March advising they have issued legal proceedings and asking me to call to discuss payment of alleged credit card debt.
    Original creditor is listed as Lloyds.
    Particulars of claim are as follows.
    1/ The defendant entered into a consumer credit act agreement with Lloyds Banking Group PLC under account reference xxxxxxxxxxx (the agreement)
    2/ The defendant failed to maintain the required payments and a default notice was served and not complied with.
    3/ The agreement was later assigned to the claimant on 12/05/2015 and notice given to the defendant.
    4/ Despite repeated requests for payment, the sum of £5xxx.xx remains due and outstanding.
    and the claimant claims
    a) the said sum of £5xxx.xx
    b)interest pursuant to s69 County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue, accruing at a daily rate of £1.821 Interest, but limited to one year, being £2XX.XX
    c)costs

I have no idea if this is a genuine debt or not a few years ago I was made redundant and I had a pile of loans and credit cards which were defaulted and resulted in court action and defaults registered on my property. As far as I was aware these were all taken care of at the time. I do admit to having received phone calls and letters but I just bin them and never answer the calls ... I notice there is no mention in the particulars of claim in respect of Lowell forwarding me paperwork....is this normal ?
    Will original paperwork be likely to be held from so long ago ?
    I have read that some debts in the small print can not be passed on to other companies...would this likely be the case from an agreement allegedly made so long ago.
    I believe I need to send a CCA and CPR now but I've seen so many different examples and advice I'm rather confused...
    If someone could help with appropriate examples for myself I'd appreciate it...I've purchased a £1 postal order but not sure who to send that to and also do I send copies of everything to Lowell and Lowell solicitors and the court ????

I have obtained a copy of my credit file and Lowell have placed an entry on it stating a default date of 2012 and that the account commenced in 1993.
    I have also submitted an acknowledgement of claim intending to defend / dispute it all on line.
    Thanks in advance for any help
    Tags: None

Re: Any help and advice, much appreciated, court papers received

Hi thebigshort & welcome to LB

In green at the top of the thread - CCA letter + £1 to claimant, CPR letter (suitably adapted) to the solicitor.

Both, proof of posting.

If you need any help, just yell.......(well, post on this thread, lol!)
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Charitynjw,

Do you have any thoughts on the other issues in my post ?

Comment

Hello welcome to LB,

Yes you are correct, A CCA request to Lowell as the claimant + £1 statutory fee ( use a postal order write" for statutory fee only " on it copy and keep a copy for your records, this is to stop them using the £1 as a payment to the account. Lowell has 12 + 2working day to comply, send by signed for post and check delivery date and signature. See short cut in the green box above.

The CPR 31.13 request (no fee) goes to Lowell Solicitors a nominal 7 days is allowed for compliance. See short cuts for template. CPR 31.14 is specifically for documents mentioned in the POC nothing else can be requested,

A CCA request is for a copy of the agreement and a current statement of the account (i.e. ) the amount outstanding now no historical data.

I don't know of any small print such as you say on accounts not being sold on.

Hope this helps.

nem

Does the account No. appear to be a 16 digit cc or debit card number? or an 8/9 digit bank account number?
        Lowell has a habit of labeling account on credit files e.g. " Credit Card from Lowell...._"

Defaults are personal and not placed on addresses.

Lowell solicitors are so far proving pretty useless, particulars of claim are often vague.

With an account this old they may well have problems in getting the agreement.

Does the default date seem right, were you using a Lloyds account just 4 years ago?

Lowell will have inherited the rights and obligations of the original agreement with Lloyds.

nem

Comment

Thanks Nemesis,
          The account number is 11 digits long. The dates do correspond with other defaults but I was issued with multiple court proceedings after default from everyone concerned including Lloyds so it makes no sense that it would not have been dealt with at the same time.
          You mention I need to send CPR 31.13 is this a different letter to the CPR 31.14...if so can you provide a link as I can not find any reference to it.
          If as seems normal...Lowell either do not respond or reply with a "we have requested the CAA but it probably won't be here in time". will the court kick it out ?

Comment

Originally posted by thebigshort View Post
            Thanks Nemesis,
            The account number is 11 digits long. The dates do correspond with other defaults but I was issued with multiple court proceedings after default from everyone concerned including Lloyds so it makes no sense that it would not have been dealt with at the same time.
            You mention I need to send CPR 31.13 is this a different letter to the CPR 31.14...if so can you provide a link as I can not find any reference to it.
            If as seems normal...Lowell either do not respond or reply with a "we have requested the CAA but it probably won't be here in time". will the court kick it out ?
            ###

My error CPR 31,14 it is damaged fingers not always on target.

If Lowell don't have the agreement they cant enforce the debt.
            So if Lowell has not/cannot get the agreement and cannot reply to your defence the court will stay (suspend) the claim.

nem

11 digits may be Lowell's own account numbering

Comment

As the account was opened so long ago it is likely that they will not have the agreement however a recon might fulfil their S78 duties. The recon would need looking at and comparing with others to see if it was ok.

it would then be up to you to show that on balance you did not sign such an agreement . Do you have any records or memories from 23 years ago?

Comment

Remember that in 1993 it was just lloyds bank not lloyds tsb

Comment

Can anyone please advise what I should do now.
                  I sent the CCA request and postal order together with the CPR 13.14.
                  To date, I have received no communication whatsoever and my date for filing my defence is this Monday (4th April).
                  Thanks

Comment

Here are some sample defences
                    http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...t-Court-Claims

I would include , if its not already in the defence that you do not recognise the account and have asked for clarification , you have received non

Post it up and someone will give it the once over. I should be working so I might not get chance but I am sure someone will

Comment

Hi Noah,
                      Should I call them first and see what they say before filing my defence tomorrow ?.

Comment

I wouldn't however if you do phone the solicitor you could ask for an extension to file your claim, if they agree they need to email you and you need to email the court to tell them by 4pm on Monday so time is short

The non compliance with the CCA request is a bar to enforcement

Did you send the letters by royal mail signed for? If so have you checked they were delivered?

Comment

I did send them recorded but the receipt has been misplaced (furious about it).
                          I've got a photograph of the £1 postal order that was sent and purchased at the same time as the two letters were sent recorded but I guess that's not much use !
                          I was thinking about going to the post office in the morning but I doubt they would be able to find anything.

Comment

Should I contact Lowell tomorrow given that I do not have the recorded delivery proofs ?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X