• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

cabot financial (uk) limited vs busybeth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cabot financial (uk) limited vs busybeth

Unable to use MCOL. Had issues logging in several weeks ago, rang them and said they had an on-going problem and to email defence instead. I have done so, using draft link (thanks).

Just hope it is accepted ... I would have jumped on this earlier, but as per my post 4/4, the courts advised "on hold", and implied no urgency in the matter!

defence :
    1.I received the claim XXXXXXXXX from the Northampton County Court on 5th February 2016

2.Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3.This claim appears to be for a Credit Card agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4.The Claimant states the claim relates to a credit card account with Capital One but without further details the Defendant is unable to identify such an account within his own records.

5.The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

6.The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from Capital One to Cabot Financial (UK) Limited, but gives no date. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

7.On the 13/02/2016 I sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimants statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to Mortimer Clarke Solicitors Ltd [Claimant's Solicitor]. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the Agreement, Default Notice and Notice of Assignment. (Copy letter attached)

8.Mortimer Clarke Solicitors Ltd has not sent any of these documents to me.

9.On the 13th February 2016 I sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to Cabot Financial (UK) Limited,pursuant to section [77 or 78] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee. (Copy Letter attached)

10.The Claimant has failed to comply with [s77 (1) / s 78 (1)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of [s77 (4) / s 78 (6)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

11.I asked the Claimant if we may agree to extend the time period allowed for filing of my defence pending receipt of documents (as allowed under CPR 15.5), The Parties agreed to an extension to the time period allowed for filing of my defence under CPR 15.5 to allow the Claimants additional time to produce the relevant documentation to evidence their claim, however they have failed to do so.

12.Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore It is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

13.I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case else the Claim should stand struck out.

14.In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

15. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Comment

If it is a credit card it is s78

Ammend the points accordingly

if you are emailing you need to sign it as a statement of truth . Have you emailed it already, if so do the statement of truth and email again with a covering note .
      Have you also enclosed a copy of the S78 request?

Hope me that is of use

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Ruby View Post
      seems that time and time again they get default judgements. Any so called changes seem to be no more after all we wouldn't want businesses to be at a disadvantage now would we. Capitalism rocks (not)

Grrr makes my blood boil!! Since our court case they have been adding interest to the default balance on my credit file every month. TBH I am beyond caring as the default falls off the credit file in a few short weeks so they can go and **** themselves.
      Was your claim struck out or did they discontinue. Maybe start a new thread for help with getting the default removed

Comment

The body of my email was the above, but I also included a separate pdf document including the "defence" text, with signed statement of truth at bottom. Also emailed my letters to both Cabot and solicitors, as well as their responses.

Is it worth me emailing them again stating I have been unable to log on and use the `MCOL service due to a fault at their end?

Originally posted by Noah View Post
        If it is a credit card it is s78

Ammend the points accordingly

if you are emailing you need to sign it as a statement of truth . Have you emailed it already, if so do the statement of truth and email again with a covering note .
        Have you also enclosed a copy of the S78 request?

Hope me that is of use

- - - Updated - - -

Was your claim struck out or did they discontinue. Maybe start a new thread for help with getting the default removed

Comment

Ok I think

when did you send that?

so the attachment included what you put above (without the changes I suggested) as well as the header and a statement of truth?

Comment

Was your claim struck out or did they discontinue. Maybe start a new thread for help with getting the default removed -

Case was discontinued. Default will fall off in five weeks anyway so not bothered at this late a stage. The only reason I mentioned it was due to the fact that they are adding monthly interest according to our credit reference record.

Good luck Busybeth, I am sure you will get this all sorted with the help of the lovely people on this site

Comment

Hi Noah,
              I had sent the above with header and signed statement of truth. When sent, I had missed out the s77 / s78 amendment though, as emailed them prior to seeing your message.

Have contacted court and they confirmed defence received. Asked if case discontinued, struck out, judgement made? They said were now waiting for Cabot to file "intention to proceed". I asked if there is a time limit on this, and was told no!

I am a little perturbed that claimant has unlimited time span with this... surely that cant be right? Any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by busybeth View Post
                Hi Noah,
                I had sent the above with header and signed statement of truth. When sent, I had missed out the s77 / s78 amendment though, as emailed them prior to seeing your message.

Have contacted court and they confirmed defence received. Asked if case discontinued, struck out, judgement made? They said were now waiting for Cabot to file "intention to proceed". I asked if there is a time limit on this, and was told no!

I am a little perturbed that claimant has unlimited time span with this... surely that cant be right? Any advice?
                Hi busybeth

If they haven't complied with your CCA request, they can't proceed until they do comply.
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Update. Received a letter from court stating my defence received and being forwarded to claimants solicitors. They have 28 days to contact court (from them receiving defence) if they wish to proceed, otherwise the "claim will be stayed"

Comment

Thats good, now just wait. The 28 days starts from when the claimant receives the claim so probably the next day or so. In about a month just give the court a call to check that it is stayed .
                    meanwhile if you have any questions or they respond do come back to us

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X