• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - Cabot Financial / Vanquis - 27-1-2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claim - Cabot Financial / Vanquis - 27-1-2016

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 27-1-2016
    Amount approx:
    Claimant: Cabot Financial
    Solicitor: Mortimer Clarke
    Original Credit: Vanquis

Particulars of Claim:
    By an agreement between VANQUIS & the Defendant on or around 24/03/2007 ('the Agreement') VANQUIS agreed to issue the Defendant with a credit card. The Defendant failed to make the minimum payments due & the Agreement was terminated. The agreement was assigned to the Claimant. THE CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS 2135.27

Stat Barred? Yes

Have sent: Acknowledged the Claim

Other Info:
    Should I fight this or should I pay.

I did take out a card and I could not afford to pay at the time.

I cant really afford to pay it all at the moment and would be interested to hear peoples advices.

I am about the follow the next steps suggested on this forum
    Tags: None

Re: Court Claim - Cabot Financial / Vanquis - 27-1-2016

Hi ajsno2, & welcome

You got there before me, lol (if that was you posting as 'guest!)

Yes, follow the guidance given in the green box above, & don't forget to get proof of postage.

Ccan you remember the last time you acknowledged the debt? (either by payment,or in writing)
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

That was me as a guest, its not like I work with technology or anything, enough said

Will post everything off tomorrow as guided.

Looking at my file on checkmyfile.com Cabot took this on in sept 2011, or that is when they started reporting on me
      I cant see any reporting from Vanquis on my file, but looking in my email I have found one from the end of 2009 telling me I have missed payment so best guess would be 2009 would have been the last time I acknowledged anything

Comment

Reports on Credit reference agencies are supplied by the creditors, and don't always reflect the real situation.

A 'default' on the CRA file is a very different animal to the date of default as per the CCA 1974/Limitation Act 1980.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

If I remember correctly Vanquis were not very good at issuing default notices back in the day. They used to send emails about registering a default and thought that would do the trick. I think if you include the lack of default notice in the defence it may help. They could of course claim it was contractually defaulted but they may have a problem with that.

In your car request you must ask for the termination notice as it is part of the claim

Comment

Thank you for your help.

Both letters have been sent today, now we wait

Comment

So far I have not received a reply from either letter.

As per the templates
              The CCA gave 12 days, letter was dated the 4th of this month
              The CPR gave 7 days, letter was also dated the 4th of this month

What should I do?

Comment

Originally posted by ajsno2 View Post
                So far I have not received a reply from either letter.

As per the templates
                The CCA gave 12 days, letter was dated the 4th of this month
                The CPR gave 7 days, letter was also dated the 4th of this month

What should I do?
                Timescale for CCA request is 12 + 2 Working Days. CPR is 7 calendar days. Do not chase the CCA request!
                Non Compliance renders the debt unenforceable Until the agreement is provided.

You can chase up the CPR request remind the sols that it is valid until the claim is allocated to the small claims
                track.

nem

Comment

Hello

I have received a letter from the Solicitors now.

"Thank you for your letter dated 04/02/2016. We acknowledge your request for documentation pursuant to SPR 31.14.

For the avoidance of doubt this firm does not hold the documentation and we have passed your request to our client who may in turn need to liaise with the original creditor.

We have been instructed to place this matter on hold while we await further instructions from our client. while on hold we will not advance court proceedings any further"

Is there anything I need to do now?

I am away now for 2 weeks and do not want anything to happen in my absence.

Comment

Still file a Defence on MCOL within 33days from the issue date of the claim (your Issue Date: 27-1-2016) = before 4pm on Monday, 29 February 2016

Comment

Just remember that if you applied online they do not need a physical signature however Vanquis agreements are not very good or have not been in the past

Just make sure you get a defence in before you go away
                      It can be done online or by email

Are you abroad or in the UK , sometimes internet access can get blocked to sites when abroad ( I can think of iplayer as an example)

Comment

Hello

Well I filed the defence before I went away.

I had a letter from the solicitor saying they will not progress anything now and will await directions from their client.

Their client "Cabot Financial" has replied to me today

"Thank you for your request under the sections 77-79 of the consumer credit act 1974

We currently do not have this information on file. However, I have requested the relevant details, which will include a copy of the credit agreement, statement of account, and original and varied terms and conditions from the original lender. In the meantime, I would like to inform you that your account shall remain on hold with the Customer Care Department until such time we can comply with your request.

Your credit agreement is currently unenforceable, which means we are not permitted to obtain a judgement or decree against you in Court. However, you are still obliged to repay the outstanding balance as confirmed in this letter and therefore I would recommend you contact us as soon as possible to setup a repayment arrangement or continue with your existing payment plan."

What do you think, is there anything I need to do at the moment or am I just waiting for this information.

Comment

No need to do anything at the moment. Keep the letter and watch out for any progress from the court.

If if after a suitable time, say a month or two you could see if they will discontinue

Comment

Originally posted by ajsno2 View Post
                            Hello

Well I filed the defence before I went away.

I had a letter from the solicitor saying they will not progress anything now and will await directions from their client.

Their client "Cabot Financial" has replied to me today

"Thank you for your request under the sections 77-79 of the consumer credit act 1974

We currently do not have this information on file. However, I have requested the relevant details, which will include a copy of the credit agreement, statement of account, and original and varied terms and conditions from the original lender. In the meantime, I would like to inform you that your account shall remain on hold with the Customer Care Department until such time we can comply with your request.

Your credit agreement is currently unenforceable, which means we are not permitted to obtain a judgement or decree against you in Court. However, you are still obliged to repay the outstanding balance as confirmed in this letter and therefore I would recommend you contact us as soon as possible to setup a repayment arrangement or continue with your existing payment plan."

What do you think, is there anything I need to do at the moment or am I just waiting for this information.
                            Originally posted by Noah View Post
                            No need to do anything at the moment. Keep the letter and watch out for any progress from the court.

If if after a suitable time, say a month or two you could see if they will discontinue
                            IMHO

I would write to them, referring to the unenforceable bit in their letter,inviting them to withdraw the court claim.

SignedFor post, or free certificate of posting.
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                              IMHO

I would write to them, referring to the unenforceable bit in their letter,inviting them to withdraw the court claim.

SignedFor post, or free certificate of posting.
                              You could, I just wonder if there is any chance of them discontinuing so soon after requesting the CCA from the OC. That was my reasoning behind waiting for a short period of time of say a month or two.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X