• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with Defence for court claim please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Defence for court claim please

Morning folks

Im trying to get my defence written to defend an attempt of a court claim from MCE. I have sent a CPR18 request and filed the acknowledgement of service but now need to get my defence across shortly. I have written the below which shows the correspondance of them never being able to prove owning the debt does it look ok to send i appreciate any help.

I (name) dispute any legal right for MCE Portfolio Ltd to attempt to recover the alleged debt they are seeking enforcement for as i have not received any proof that they are entitled to do so due to the reasons below.

Previous correspondence received on February 28th 2014 from Arden Credit Management who is a trading style of Moorgate Loan Servicing Ltd / Britannica Recoveries S.A.R.L / Mortlake Britannica Mortlake as stated on their correspondence (Sample correspondence attached and highlighted for clarity REFERENCE 1a and 1b showing links between companies) stating that they had instructed Mackenzie Hall Ltd to collect the alleged debt owed to their client Moorgate Servicing Ltd. (Copy letter attached REFERENCE 2) I disputed this debt as i have never received any proof that Moorgate Servicing Ltd owned the alleged debt.

Further correspondence was recieived on the 5th September 2014 again from Arden Credit Management (trading style of Moorgate Loan Servicing Ltd ) saying they had now instructed Robinson Way to recover the alleged debt (Copy letter attached REFERENCE 3). Again i disputed this debt and issued a CCA request to Robinson Way requesting their client supplies evidence of which they sent a return letter stating that “They cannot identify the account referred to and that the account is closed on their files” (Copy letter attached REFERENCE 4)

The alleged debt was then sold by Britannica Recoveries S.A.R.L (Arden/Moorgate) who has never issued requested evidence that they had a right to recover the alleged debt as per letter reference 4 to MFS/MCE Portfolio Ltd as per their letter sent 3rd December 2014 (Copy letter attached REFERENCE 5) and this is the company who are attempting to enforce judgement by claim number ???? I dispute this attempt at enforcement as MCE Portfolio Ltd have purchased an alleged debt from Britannica/Arden/Moorgate that was unforceable due to them being unable to prove ownership of the debt.

Since receiving the court forms i have issued a CPR18 request on the 12th June 2015 (Copy letter attached REFERENCE 6)asking their client to prove entitlement to the alleged debt which was acknowldedged by the clients Legal representitives Optima Legal stating they will forward relevant documentation once in receipt. (Copy letter attaced REFERENCE 7)Therefore i again dispute enforcement of the alleged debt until evidence is received giving the legal right to do so

ive seen the template on this forum after ive written the above so if what ive writted seems ok i will copy it across into the format as below

EXAMPLE DEFENCE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1: I received the claim [Claim Number] from the [Name of Court - often Northampton or Salford] County Court on [Date you received the claim]

2: Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3: This claim [is for/ appears to be for] a [Credit Card / Loan / Catalogue Account] agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4: [It is admitted/denied] that the Defendant has [previously] entered into [an agreement/agreements] with [Original Creditor /Claimant] for provision of credit.

4: The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

[5. The particulars of claim fail to state when the agreement was entered into.]

6. The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from [Original Creditor] to [Claimant] on [Date]. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

7. It is denied that [Original Creditor] served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant.

8: On the [Date] I sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimants statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to [Claimant's Solicitor]. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the[Agreement, Default Notice and Notice of Assignment] .

9. [Claimant's Solicitor] has not sent any of these documents to me.

10. On the [Date] I sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to [Claimant] pursuant to section [77 or 78] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

11. The Claimant has failed to comply with [s77 (1) / s 78 (1)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of [s77 (4) / s 78 (6)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

[12: I have asked the Claimant if we may agree to extend the time period allowed for filing of my defence pending receipt of documents (as allowed under CPR 15.5), but they have declined.] or [The Parties agreed to an extension to the time period allowed for filing of my defence under CPR 15.5 to allow the Claimants additional time to produce the relevant documentation to evidence their claim, however they have failed to do so.]

13. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore It is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

14. I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case else the Claim should stand struck out.

15. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

16. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed …………………………………………

Dated .................................................. ....
    Tags: None

Re: Help with Defence for court claim please

OK looks good.
    Full name and address at top of defence statement.
    No Highlighted or bold text.
    Line breaks and sentences in all paragraphs to make it easier read, blocks of text
    can lead to points being missed.

nem

Comment

Re: Help with Defence for court claim please

Originally posted by atlas2l8v View Post
      Morning folks

Im trying to get my defence written to defend an attempt of a court claim from MCE. I have sent a CPR18 request and filed the acknowledgement of service but now need to get my defence across shortly. I have written the below which shows the correspondance of them never being able to prove owning the debt does it look ok to send i appreciate any help.
      Did you send a CPR 31.14 request for documents mentioned on the particulars of claim? The Part 18 request would be for additional information. Did you send a CCA request at any point?

A few comments below each point (in purple). The generic defence is only an example and has to be amended to suit each case, deleting things that may not be appropriate to your claim.

EXAMPLE DEFENCE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      1: I received the claim [Claim Number] from the [Name of Court - often Northampton or Salford] County Court on [Date you received the claim]

2: Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3: This claim [is for/ appears to be for] a [Credit Card / Loan / Catalogue Account] agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
      What's the debt for? You need to leave just one option and delete the rest.
      4: [It is admitted/denied] that the Defendant has [previously] entered into [an agreement/agreements] with [Original Creditor /Claimant] for provision of credit.

4: The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

[5. The particulars of claim fail to state when the agreement was entered into.]
      Only applicable if there is no mention of it on the particulars of claim, as you haven't posted them up I can't tell whether it applies or not.

6. The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from [Original Creditor] to [Claimant] on [Date]. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.
      Only applicable if you didn't receive a notice of assignment, from your post above it sounds like you may have received one.

7. It is denied that [Original Creditor] served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant.
      Again, only if you did not receive one, otherwise you may have received a defective DN.

8: On the [Date] I sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimants statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to [Claimant's Solicitor]. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the[Agreement, Default Notice and Notice of Assignment] .
      I don't see any mention of a request under CPR 31.14 above, you just mention a Part 18 request. If you didn't send one under 31.14 then you can't say you did.
      If you sent another request that wasn't complied with such as a Part 18 request, you should also include it.

9. [Claimant's Solicitor] has not sent any of these documents to me.

10. On the [Date] I sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to [Claimant] pursuant to section [77 or 78] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.
      Did you send a CCA request? If so, you need to leave just one section: 77 for loans or 78 for credit cards.

11. The Claimant has failed to comply with [s77 (1) / s 78 (1)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of [s77 (4) / s 78 (6)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.
      As above, just one of the sections.

[12: I have asked the Claimant if we may agree to extend the time period allowed for filing of my defence pending receipt of documents (as allowed under CPR 15.5), but they have declined.] or [The Parties agreed to an extension to the time period allowed for filing of my defence under CPR 15.5 to allow the Claimants additional time to produce the relevant documentation to evidence their claim, however they have failed to do so.]
      Did you ask for an extension to file your defence? If not, this is not applicable and should be deleted.

13. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore It is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

14. I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case else the Claim should stand struck out.

15. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

16. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed …………………………………………

Dated .................................................. ....
      [/QUOTE]

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X