• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court case- small claims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court case- small claims

Probably a silly question, but if anyone can help then great. So I started a small claim in Aug 2014, in march 2015 the law has changed on tenancies etc. If the case ended up in court would the court take the new regulations or judge the case on what the law said back in Aug 2014
    Tags: None

Re: Court case- small claims

In most cases, the issue is decided according to the law that applied at the time.

So, for example, those convicted of criminal offences must be sentenced according to the law at the time the offence was committed, regardless of whether the available sentences have increased/decreased since.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky74 View Post
      Probably a silly question, but if anyone can help then great. So I started a small claim in Aug 2014, in march 2015 the law has changed on tenancies etc. If the case ended up in court would the court take the new regulations or judge the case on what the law said back in Aug 2014
      What stage is the claim at?

nem

Comment

I have recieved directions quetsionnaire requesting the case is heard by a medaitor in an attempt to resolve before going to court. Basiocally the claim was made in August 2014 and it was for the tenancy on a property being renewed and the letting agent not sending the prescribed information from the TDS. The tenancy changed from Statuaory to Periodic and at the time Superstrike v Rodriguez ruled that this was not legal. However the law has now changed to say that the letting agents no longer need to re send the prescribed information and this is to cut out the loophole. I dont know if i went to court if the Judge would rule on the new law or the law when the claim was made.

Comment

It will be decided on the basis of the law at the time the landlord did/did not comply with his obligations to send information.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X