• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - Cabot Financial / Equidebt - 17-12-2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claim - Cabot Financial / Equidebt - 17-12-2014

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 17-12-2014
    Amount approx: £837.65
    Claimant: Cabot Financial
    Solicitor: Reston's
    Original Credit: Equidebt

Particulars of Claim:
    overdue balance under a contract with Equidebt dated on or around September 20 1999 assigned to Cabot on June 18 2013

Stat Barred? No

Have sent: Acknowledged the Claim, Sent a CCA request

Other Info:
    I paid a doorstep collector various sums monthly over the previous 13 years as my finances improved. Equidebt went bust in 2013 which left me unable to continue making payments. I tried the local Court system for advice, but to no avail.
    I serviced my debts honestly and faithfully every month without complaint from any creditor.
    Following Cabot's purchase of Eqidebt's customer base I started getting demands for the full and original 1999 debt £837.65
    I went down the CCA route and requested a full accounting, IGNORED! Cabot passed me over to F.I.R.E. Marlin and finally Reston's. I am now in the hands of Northampton. I posted my acknowledgement and a defence 22/12/14 and a fresh CCA request to Cabot.
    Tags: None

Re: Court Claim - Cabot Financial / Equidebt - 17-12-2014

Hi Welcome,
    Does the amount claimed reflect accurately what is allegedly owed?
    Or are Cabot claiming the original amount outstanding taking no account of monies paid up to the failure of Equidebt?
    Cabot, FIRE Marlin and Restons all the same group of companies.

Is there any reference to the alleged debt on your credit reference files?

Comment

Many thanks for the swift reply,
      I don't believe the claim does. I paid off a similar amount to that claimed, in 2011 that was with Aktiv Kapital.
      Cabot are yet to provide me with my CCA request and a full accounting of monies received by EQL prior to their winding up.
      Reston's are the devious ones in this affair. They have supplied Northampton with info regarding the £837.65 and based their case on this. But a letter I received from them quoted a 16 figure account number, and a very strange- " the above reference number may relate to several financial products"

Comment

All sounds rather fishy to me!
        16 digit numbers are usually debit or credit cards the first 4 digits identifying the provider e.g. 4929 for Barclaycard.

You will have to make a Subject Access Request to get the financial breakdown as a CCA request allows for the agreement, any documents mentioned in the T's &C's and a current statement of the account i.e. the amount outstanding.

Comment

Did you sent the CCA request before or after the claim was issued. I only ask because under the new(ish) rules of the FCA they should not issue claims or otherwise try to enforce payments with an outstanding CCA request

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
            Did you sent the CCA request before or after the claim was issued. I only ask because under the new(ish) rules of the FCA they should not issue claims or otherwise try to enforce payments with an outstanding CCA request
            Do you actually believe there is someone in the Crabot group who be bothered to read those regs let alone give them any regard??:incourt:

Comment

Thanks you lot,
              As I mentioned earlier the first CCA request was ignored by Cabot.
              I posted another request on the 22nd hoping to have the info to hand to aid my defence. I am certain that the ploy Cabot, Reston's et al are trying for is a manipulation of Northampton hence their CCJ application. I wouldn't dream of suggesting they would misrepresent the facts to obtain the legality of a CCJ and thus have me over a barrel but, hey oh cynical old me.
              I will download a Subject Access Request and fire that off to Reston's.
              ta much people,Tezza

Comment

Just a brief update. I caved in and sent off the full amount to Reston's.

Northampton were as much use to me as a chocolate teapot!! I got the impression that I would end up with the CCJ anyway.
                The very next day Cabot replied to my CCA request with-----It will take up to 40 days to provide me with the info I requested. So folks does that mean Reston's were telling fibs to Northampton? Can I get redress for this through the FCA or other bodies, cause I'm good and mad now.
                Any help would be greatly appreciated,
                Tezza

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X