• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

City of London Court Claim for 11,000 pounds for artists storage, no idea what to do.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: City of London Court Claim for 11,000 pounds for artists storage, no idea what to

A whole bunch left earlier, some because they found more workeable studios ( the building has very bad light and low ceilings and is hardly soundproofed), others because they were used to our previous landlords leniency and so were booted out sharpish for non-paiment. But there are three others who also have summons, sadly not on the same day. It would have been nice to go there together in smocks and berets and with very large wooden palettes and easels.

Comment

Re: City of London Court Claim for 11,000 pounds for artists storage, no idea what to

Miss Fm , very good suggestions, I will take the feudal route and appeal to the hegemoni of Londinium!

Comment

Have you checked the premises on the Valuation Office website to see if you are paying for only the space you occupy or for more than that. Also have a look at the rate charged per sq m = you may be being charged for retail rate rather than storage.

http://www.2010.voa.gov.uk/rli/

Comment

Originally posted by giordanobruno View Post
          A whole bunch left earlier, some because they found more workeable studios ( the building has very bad light and low ceilings and is hardly soundproofed), others because they were used to our previous landlords leniency and so were booted out sharpish for non-paiment. But there are three others who also have summons, sadly not on the same day. It would have been nice to go there together in smocks and berets and with very large wooden palettes and easels.
          If you were all just using the facility for storage then my (totally non-legally qualified) feeling is that you should point out that it is the LL's business being run from the premises and hence his liability

Comment

Dear Ploddertom, yes I have, to no avail. For the Valuations office, it has the right multiplier, whatever the usage. Which is why I need to establish mine was an agreement rather than a commercial tenancy. I think. Aaargh.

Comment

Dear Ploddertom, yes I have, to no avail. For the Valuations office, it has the right multiplier, whatever the usage. Which is why I need to establish mine was an agreement rather than a commercial tenancy. I think. Aaargh.
              Yup

Comment

Dear Miss FM, no some were just storing but some worked there, so ...
                On another note, you have Campbell, Amethyst has Jung...is the legal profession secretly a cabal of mythological esoterica? We should be told.

Comment

My premises are split between retail areas for which I pay a premium dependent on how deep they are this then gets cheaper as it gets to the back of the shop, storage areas are charged at a fraction of the actual retail space.

Comment

Dear Miss FM, no some were just storing but some worked there, so ...
                    On another note, you have Campbell, Amethyst has Jung...is the legal profession secretly a cabal of mythological esoterica? We should be told.
                    Yes it is -:high5:- certainly the Beagle profession-

Comment

I see. Whereas I have used what was an office as a storage place, hence the VO's unhelpful conclusion. Please stay in the designated areas...

Comment

I see. Whereas I have used what was an office as a storage place, hence the VO's unhelpful conclusion. Please stay in the designated areas...
                        I don't think it actually works like that and that is the challenge. For rating purposes, the whole area designated by the valuation officer is considered occupied and hence is taxed. So, joking aside, you need to find a loophole and it does need to be within their exceptions.

Comment

There is discretionary provision in the Local Government Finance Act 1988 under Section 44A. to allow councils to make a request to the Valuation Office to apportion the rateable value of the property between the occupied and unoccupied parts where it appears that part of a property is unoccupied and will remain so for a "short time only".

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                            There is discretionary provision in the Local Government Finance Act 1988 under Section 44A. to allow councils to make a request to the Valuation Office to apportion the rateable value of the property between the occupied and unoccupied parts where it appears that part of a property is unoccupied and will remain so for a "short time only".

Absolutely, Des - IME (which is in Wales rather than London) a short time means (in practice) up to 8 months (ish)

Comment

I understand that I need a tenable legal argument, I can't just whinge about how unreasonable it is!
                              Re Des8's point. I was there 9 months, does that not work for me?

Comment

As 11k is at stake here is it not wise to get a Solicitors opinion.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X