• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help With A Capquest Claim, Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help With A Capquest Claim, Please

Thanks, everybody! I've had a go at drafting something. Please feel free to offer any suggestions (big or small). Also, I don't know if I've made any mistakes.

Defence

Ref No
    CapQuest Investments Limited

V

Me

1. I, XXX of XXX am the defendant in this action and make the following statement as my defence to the claim made by CapQuest Investments Limited.
    2. Except where explicitly stated below the defendant neither admits nor denies any of the assertions or claims made by the claimant.
    3. The defendant is embarrassed in pleading to the Particulars of Claim as it stands at present.
    4. The claimant's Particulars of Claim disclose inadequate legal cause of action and they are embarrassing to the defendant as the claimant's statement of case is insufficiently particularised and does not comply or even attempt to comply with CPR part 16.
    5. In this regard I wish to draw the courts attention to the following matters;
    a. The Particulars of Claim are vague and insufficient and do not disclose an adequate statement of facts relating to or proceeding the alleged cause of action.
    No particulars are offered in relation to the nature of the written agreement referred to; the method the claimant calculated any outstanding sums due; or any other matters necessary to substantiate the claimant's claim.
    b. A copy of the purported written agreement that the claimant cites in the Particulars of Claim, and which appears to form the basis upon which these proceedings have been brought has not been presented to the defendant upon S78 request.
    c. A copy of any evidence of both the scope and nature of any default, or any default notice, or proof of any amount outstanding on the alleged account, has not been fully itemised or served upon CPR 31.14 request.
    d. A copy of any termination notice served under Consumer Credit Act on the alleged account, has not been filed and served.
    e. The claimant has failed to disclose whether the alleged agreement is regulated by the consumer credit act 1974
    f. The account number mentioned in the particulars of claim refers to a credit card agreement which was regulated by the consumer credit act 1974
    g. The claimant claims interest pursuant to s69 County Courts Act and should know that such interest may not be claimed on an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act
    h. The letter of claim sent to the defendant under the Practice Direction-Pre Action Conduct does not list the documentary evidence that the claimant claims to be able to provide to substantiate the claim. It offers inadequate legal cause for action.
    6. It is averred that the claimant's claim is vexatious and is an abuse of the court process.
    7. A S78 request and CPR31.14 request for a legible copy of the contract and other documents mentioned in the Particulars of Claim was sent to the claimant by registered (to be signed for) post on 7th October 2013.
    8. It is averred that the claimants conduct suggests that they do not have an original executed agreement to produce to the court in support of its claim.
    9. A letter sent by the claimant on 28th October 2013, in response to the S78 and CPR 31.14 requests sent by the defendant on 7th October and, therefore, in default of the legal time frames for compliance, states that efforts to obtain a copy of the agreement and the default notice are still ongoing.
    10. Consequently, I deny all allegations on the particulars of claim and put the claimant to strict proof to produce; a clear legible copy of the original agreement, to include any documents referred within it containing all the prescribed terms and compliant in every detail with requirements of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for an enforceable Consumer Credit agreement; a fully compliant default notice; a fully compliant termination notice.
    11. I respectfully request the court’s permission to submit an amended defence should the claimant file a fully particularised Particulars of Claim or should they be able to fully comply with my S78 and CPR 31.14 requests.
    12. I respectfully request that the court consider striking out the claim under CPR 3.4.2(a) and (b) because it is not fully particularised and does not offer any legal cause of action.
    13. In the alternative, I respectfully request that the court consider striking out the claim under CPR 3.4.2(c) because the claimant is unable to substantiate their claim with the necessary documentary evidence.
    14. If the court decides not to strike out the claimant's claim, I respectfully seek direction from the court that the proceedings be generally stayed for a period of 28 days to allow the claimant to further particularise its claim and clarify the terms under which it claims against the defendant in such details as required by CPR part 16.
    15. Such direction to further require that the relevant documents previously requested by the defendant in her S78 and CPR 31.14 requests dated 7th October 2013 are disclosed prior to the defendant being expected to submit a defence.
    16. If the claimant fails to comply with the court's directions, then the claim be struck out without further notice.

Statement of truth

I, the Defendant, believe the above statement to be factual and true

Signed

Date
    Last edited by manythanks; 31st October 2013, 17:20:PM.

Comment

I'd like to include something about the claimant starting the proceedings without the documentary evidence in their possession, but I'm not sure how to do this or which rules were broken here.

Comment

Also, I want to add something about it possibly being statute barred - any advice?

Comment

Just to check - I only need to use MCoL to submit this defence? I don't need to send the defence via the post to the court, CapQuest or HL?

Does anyone have any advice about the defence I have drafted? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by manythanks View Post
            Just to check - I only need to use MCoL to submit this defence? I don't need to send the defence via the post to the court, CapQuest or HL?

Does anyone have any advice about the defence I have drafted? Thanks.

Yes is the answer.

As for your defence, my first impression is that it's garbage. I'll take a better look later but please don't send that.

M1

Comment

I think there is a limit to the amount of text you can submit via MCOL - Particulars of Claim is 1080 characters. If its the same for a defence, you will have to edit it down to about a quarter of that.

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
                Yes is the answer.

As for your defence, my first impression is that it's garbage. I'll take a better look later but please don't send that.

M1
                LOL, is it that bad? I have just thrown things into the pan a la bubble and squeek. I would be very grateful for any help!

Comment

I think its a good start, but it does need to be edited down to focus on the most important issues. Will try to have proper look at it later as I'm about to go out now.

Comment

Originally posted by littlebert8 View Post
                    I think its a good start, but it does need to be edited down to focus on the most important issues. Will try to have proper look at it later as I'm about to go out now.
                    Thanks again, littlebert, any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by manythanks View Post
                      Also, I want to add something about it possibly being statute barred - any advice?
                      Possibly? I doubt you could use that word in your defence. SBd is an absolute defence which would override anything else you could argue, but you would have to make a positive assertion based on your own recollection and paperwork, and the claimant would have to prove you wrong. If they were able to do so using their own records, you'd lose. :sad:

Comment

Something like this. Check it's all valid and edit to suit. I am not a lawyer.

Damn it doesn't paste well.

Uploaded as an attachment.

manythanks.odt

M1

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                          Possibly? I doubt you could use that word in your defence. SBd is an absolute defence which would override anything else you could argue, but you would have to make a positive assertion based on your own recollection and paperwork, and the claimant would have to prove you wrong. If they were able to do so using their own records, you'd lose. :sad:
                          But you cant make a 'positive assertion' in respect of a negative - i.e. that you didn't make a payment during a specified period. Surely, if you were to say that you have no recollection of making a payment or acknowledgement since x, then its up to the claimant to prove otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                            Hello, FP, I don't have any records, paperwork and my recollection sucks, lol, but I know this is at least 5 and a half years old because I was working when I got the card. It is possible, of course, that it was in the last 6 months that I got the card.

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
                              Something like this. Check it's all valid and edit to suit. I am not a lawyer.

Damn it doesn't paste well.

Uploaded as an attachment.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10113[/ATTACH]

M1
                              This is outstanding, thanks!! I will go with this.
                              (I acknowledge that you aren't a lawyer)
                              Thank you so much.

Comment

I'd just like to thank again all the people who have offered their help. :marchmellow:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X