• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

MBNA - Court Action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBNA - Court Action

Hi All,

I am after some advice on dealing with the following:-

In 1996 I took out a Credit card with MBNA, Over the years the credit limit grew quite large and I mistakinley used it to its full potental as I had a good job and could cope easily with the repayments.

At the beginning of 2006, My circumstances changed unexpectidly and i was unable to cover the minimum payments for a debt of almost £12.500 , I struggled paying what I could for about 6 months and then had to stop paying altogether due to priority debts being more important.

I got chased for money for about 3 months and didnt hear nothing from them after this.

At the beginning of last year (2010), i started getting letters from a company called Equidebt saying that I owed £15.800 for an old MBNA debt, I did not reply to the letters as I had no disposable income to offer any repayments.

In about September of last year, letters started coming from their Solicitors on behalf of Equidebt, I decided to send them a CCA request to see if they had a copy of my original agreement.

They responded to the CCA request (3 Months later) in December 2010 saying they enclosed a copy of the legally documents, but all they had sent me was a copy of my original Credit Card Application form from MBNA which i completed in 1996, they had also enclosed a seperate page of terms and conditions which is hardly readable and does not include my details in the customers name / address section.

The Solicitors have now just written again saying that they have commenced county court proceedings and that i will get a claim form through very shortly, They have asked me to make an offer of repayment on it and to return it to them, failure to do so they will go for a CCJ, which i am dreading !!!!

My questions are:-

Is the Application form they have sent for my CCA request likely to be enforcable ??

Am i able to challenge the amount they are claiming is wrong, as it is £3000 more and must be made up of interest and penalty charges on the old account ??

At this late stage, am I able to look at getting the PPI reclaimed back on this account, It was added when i took the card out Automatically and i was never asked if i wanted it (not even detailed on application form) ?? Missold I Guess.

I am not trying to avoid paying this account, just looking for advice on how to deal with it and possibly reduce the amount owed (by claiming back charges / PPI).

Any URGENT advice would be appreciated as Im really worrying over this and the claim form will arrive any day now.
    Tags: None

Re: MBNA - Court Action

Did you ever put the account in dispute regarding CCA, you could put up copy application form also letters minus your personal details for others to see & comment, suspect they are trying their hand over offer of payment which makes you wonder if they have enforceable CCA etc.??

Comment

Hi,

No dispute letter sent yet to CCA

CCA Request info attached here (All I Received)

and

Your views please

Thanks

Comment

The terms certainly aren't legible so that's a breach of section 78 on its own. That doesn't make it unenforceable but does allow you to put it n dispute until such times as they can produce a legible copy.

Comment

The terms and conditions look suspect to me;
          please check your 1996/1997 statements to see if the interest rate tallies.

You should have also been provided with terms as varied, as clearly subsequent tokens (credit cards) were provided after the first.

Have you made a subject access request to MBNA?
          If not, you will have to, in order gather information about the PPI premiums and charges levied.

Strange, that the PPI taken out is not mentioned on the application form?

My advice, put the account into dispute re: your section 78 request and;
          fire off a FULL SAR.

Comment

SAR was sent to MBNA on Monday just gone, so just waiting for the reply ?

What grounds shall i put account in dispute ?

Steve

Comment

They have not fully complied with your CCA request!

And that you have requested full information under s7 of the DPA : SAR

Until such time as your legal requests are fully complied with; the account is in "DISPUTE".

Comment

**UPDATE **

I have just received the County Court Claim form in the Post Today.

(very suprised at this as they have not put my house number on the address and it was just addressed to my road name, lucky the postman knows what number i live at).

Any how, not sure where to procede from here, I am Still awaiting info back from my SAR to MBNA Bank (Original Creditior) as want to claim back PPI and charges etc.

Amount on Court Claim form is for the amount which was on Card (Balance inc PPI and Charges etc) and a court and solictiors fee, the Particulars of claim seem to cut off half way down the page mid sentence whilst explaining about a default notice ??

Do I admit the whole amount or part of the amount while looking at getting these charges refunded ? Or do I defend ?

Your advice please guys ....

Comment

When was the last time you heard from the original creditor - if more than 6 years have passed before you were contacted again their right to pursue may be impaired due to time. Research on here for definitive - if I'm right then you may apply to the court (cost prob £75) to have their application turned over

You must acknowledge receipt but I'd hold off admitting liability on any of the debts. Due to the size of the debt or putting in a defence just yet - it'll probably be set for the fast track.

Did anything else come with the application e.g Copy of agreement incl T&Cs, default notice, statements etc

Have a look at my thread for more on MBNA/Wescot inability to get things right - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

I'd also look seriously at locating some legal advice on 'a no win no fee basis' as with this level of debt it could get very expensive if you get it wrong as an LiP.
                  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity. (Motto of the Kings of Scotland)

Comment

No, nothing else came with claim form, just the sheet to make an offer of repayment

Comment

Did you say the court letter was not in full.

If not copy it send back to the court asking for a full letter and added time for this

Usually get a date with it for action.

If over 6 years let it go to court if not acknowledged or made payment in that 6 years

Court will throw it out no cost to you

I am not a legal person so take advice ask citizens advive

Comment

Seek advice from your CAB or a lawyer
                        Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity. (Motto of the Kings of Scotland)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X