• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help needed - when do arrears become a default?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed - when do arrears become a default?

Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice. I appeared in small claims court yesterday to defend a claim against me. The basis of my defence was that the creditor had not complied with CCA 1974 as no default notice or termination notice had been issued. At a previous hearing which I was unable to attend the Judge ordered that the creditor file and serve representations on how they complied with sections 76,87 and 98 of CCA. I wasn't served any such document and think their assumption was that I would not turn up to the hearing and they were suprised when I did (probably a tactic but maybe a mistake). The judge granted my request for an adjournment on the basis that they hadn't complied with the order and I hadn't a chance to prepare a response to their submission which was good.

Having read through it their argument seems to be that none of the sections of CCA 1974 above were applicable as the debtor has not sought to terminate the agreement, the agreement is not in default and the claim is purely for the collection of arrears owing to them under the agreement. This seems a little strange to me and was wondering if anyone had come accross this before? Full payment on the agreement became due in December 2003 however the proceedings were commenced in October 2009.

I'm a little bit concerned now as the Judge referred to costs and the test of 'unreasonable' possibly hinting that I would become liable for their legal costs if I lose bearing in mind they have employed a lawayer and city chambers to represent them in small claims court. I can't afford to take legal advice and fear I may have to try and settle now as the costs could be more than the original debt which will probably push me to bankruptcy though I really hate the thought of being bullied or frightened in to giving just in because they can afford it and I can't.

Any advice or support very gratefully recieved.
    Tags: None

Re: Help needed - when do arrears become a default?

We would need more info i.e. last payment made and all the info you got minus personal details, 6 years from 2003 to 2009 would be staute barred if no payments made but others would need more info to advise?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X