• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defence and Counterclaim Template

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence and Counterclaim Template

I appreciate that every case is different, but I'm just wondering if there is a template out there that would assist me in writing my defence and counterclaim for a consumer claim for financial loss due to poor workmanship. I've set out the storyboard (as I call it) of events and now want to bring that into the correct format and reference it to the Pre Action Letter and Claim (which are both completely different by the way). Sorry for being vague - I don't really want to publish too much on here. Happy to pay someone for their time if they can assist and want to PM me.
    Tags: None

The following has got a good structure, so should help draft your Defence and Counterclaim (I know it's HK).

https://rcul.judiciary.hk/rc/downloa...n_19032009.doc

Comment

That's a useful document to use as a template to be amended for a defence and counterclaim

Probably jumping the gun. If the combined value of the claim and counterclaim is over £10k it may still be allocated to the small claims track

PD 26 Para 15 (5) Claim value may be over £10k for small claims track provided the court time is no more than 1 day

Both the claimant and defendant should request the small claims track and ensure their view of the required court time does not exceed 1 day (7 hours?) on their directions questionnaire

Comment

Out of curiousity, if doing this with an N95B when a claim is raised by OCMC,

Does there need to be a stated cause of action for the counterclaim?
        What's the correct response to put into the online portal for the response to claim, given you can't file a counterclaim through it (yet)?

Just thinking, this could be quite a handy reference thread as OCMC evolves.

Comment

If you mean form N9B and MCOL?

Please read Practice Direction 7C Money Claim Online

The defendant is already able to file and serve their defence and counterclaim online (provided they are filed at the same time)

This is covered by 7.1A (4)

The courts email address is provided

Both claimant and defendant should be aware that space (lines and characters) is limited for the PoC and Defence and Counterclaim on the online forms

Comment

Oh, is it active (properly) in the digital system now? Isn't there a recent thread on here for someone who's doing a counterclaim by form and they had to email it to the service because the functionality WASN'T there yet?

Either way, the questions are valid - does a counterclaim need to have a specifically worded COA somewhere in it (I know from other threads you can't use stuff like defamation for example) or does the court infer it from what you're describing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
              If you mean form N9B and MCOL?

Please read Practice Direction 7C Money Claim Online

The defendant is already able to file and serve their defence and counterclaim online (provided they are filed at the same time)

This is covered by 7.1A (4)

The courts email address is provided

Both claimant and defendant should be aware that space (lines and characters) is limited for the PoC and Defence and Counterclaim on the online forms
              Bit naive with this, but if you were to submit (email) a separate Defence/Counterclaim document, what do you write on the actual Defence and Counterclaim sections of the N9Bform on MCOL, in the limited space provided? For example "Please see separate document" seems a bit basic. On the Claim I received there is a one paragraph statement stating the Claimant claims damages and quoting the consumer legislation. No mention/cross reference of the separate Claim document, received directly from the Claimant in the post.

Comment

Often "a bit basic" is good. Remember KISS.
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

All the questions asked are answered in MCOL Guidance and PD 7C
                  The defence and counterclaim should be one document, although there is a separate section in N9B for a counterclaim if the defendant wants to file and serve one.
                  Full details of the Defence and Counterclaim should be filed with the court and served on the claimant. If there is insufficient space on the form the defendant should add additional typed pages (each page marked with the case number) and attached to an email
                  The court does not require full details of the PoC The claimant should send this document to the allocated court within 5 days of receipt of the notice of allocation
                  Last edited by Pezza54; 19th August 2024, 11:50:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsMEC View Post

No mention/cross reference of the separate Claim document, received directly from the Claimant in the post.
                    When the claimant serves the full PoC on the defendant, the claimant must file a Certificate of Service (N215). See cpr 6.29
                    It is worth checking that the claimant filed this form

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X