• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claim form received from Thames Water through Moriarty Law

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claim form received from Thames Water through Moriarty Law

I need help responding to this particulars of claim “ The claimant is a water and sewerage undertaker licenced under the water industry act 1991(ACT). The claimants charges are statutory charges payable under sections 142-144 of the act and the claimants charges scheme.
    The defendant owes the claimant xxxxx for the provision of waste and/or water services to the defendant at the supply address xxxxxxxx in respect of the period from xxxxx to xxxxxx”

Tags: None

In your own words, why do you disagree with that?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      In your own words, why do you disagree with that?
      Did not receive any bill during that period and the claim does not have my full name.

Comment

Have you offered to pay?

Are the parts of your name that have been given sufficient to identify you accurately?

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          Have you offered to pay?

Are the parts of your name that have been given sufficient to identify you accurately?
          No, I have not offered to pay, there’s no way to know whether the charges are accurate or not, don’t know if the premises are metered or unmetered.

Could but that’s not the name on most of my bills, documents etc.

I have acknowledged the Claim and deny all, yet to submit defence.

Comment

Fill in the following, copy and paste back onto this thread without personal details, the agreement you have with Thames Water isn't covered by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (so you will need to ignore those bits).

Received a claim? Yes/No:
            Issue Date:
            Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:
            Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000)
            Claimant’s Name:
            Solicitors Firm:
            Original Creditor:
            Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) :
            Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
            Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):
            List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):
            Any Other Information or Background Details:

a) Send Thames Water a SAR request, they have 30 days to provide all the data on the account, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

b) Send Moriarty Law a CPR 31.14 request, they have 7 days to provide the requested documentation.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-of-documents/

c) Send Thames Water requesting a copy of the agreement and Terms and Conditions, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

You've acknowledged service of the claim, so you have 28 days in total from the date on the claim form to file you Defence with the Court (plus 5 days postal - you should need this). Post an update of what you've received from Thames Water within 23 days, so we can help check any anomalies with the account..

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
              Fill in the following, copy and paste back onto this thread without personal details, the agreement you have with Thames Water isn't covered by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (so you will need to ignore those bits).

Received a claim? Yes/No:
              Issue Date:
              Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:
              Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000)
              Claimant’s Name:
              Solicitors Firm:
              Original Creditor:
              Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
              Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):
              List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):
              Any Other Information or Background Details:

a) Send Thames Water a SAR request, they have 30 days to provide all the data on the account, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

b) Send Moriarty Law a CPR 31.14 request, they have 7 days to provide the requested documentation.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-of-documents/

c) Send Thames Water requesting a copy of the agreement and Terms and Conditions, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

You've acknowledged service of the claim, so you have 28 days in total from the date on the claim form to file you Defence with the Court (plus 5 days postal - you should need this). Post an update of what you've received from Thames Water within 23 days, so we can help check any anomalies with the account..
              Received a claim? Yes/No: Yes

Issue Date:

Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:Yes

Total Amount Claimed : 1600

Claimant’s Name:Thames Water

Solicitors Firm:Moriarty Law

Original Creditor:

Particulars of Claim: ( The claimant is a water and sewerage undertaker licenced under the water industry act 1991(ACT). The claimants charges are statutory charges payable under sections 142-144 of the act and the claimants charges scheme.

The defendant owes the claimant xxxxx for the provision of waste and/or water services to the defendant at the supply address xxxxxxxx in respect of the period from xxxxx to xxxxxx”

Is the debt Statute Barred :No

List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):None

Any Other Information or Background Details: Have not received any bill or communication from Thames Water until Moriarty Law sent a debt collection letter giving 30 days to pay debt. Did not receive any communication till I received a county court claim, which I have acknowledged. Part of my name on my documents and bills has been left out on the claim form, so filled out defendant’s full name if different from the name given on the claim form.

Comment

Originally posted by Prinzo View Post
                Received a claim? Yes/No: Yes

Issue Date:

Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:Yes

Total Amount Claimed : 1600

Claimant’s Name:Thames Water

Solicitors Firm:Moriarty Law

Original Creditor:

Particulars of Claim: ( The claimant is a water and sewerage undertaker licenced under the water industry act 1991(ACT). The claimants charges are statutory charges payable under sections 142-144 of the act and the claimants charges scheme.

Is the debt Statute Barred :No

List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):None

Any Other Information or Background Details: Have not received any bill or communication from Thames Water until Moriarty Law sent a debt collection letter giving 30 days to pay debt. Did not receive any communication till I received a county court claim, which I have acknowledged. Part of my name on my documents and bills has been left out on the claim form, so filled out defendant’s full name if different from the name given on the claim form.

Do a) b) and c) in post 7.

Also, establish how they are billing you, no doubt the SAR information will have that info.

Comment

Also, establish how they are billing you, no doubt the SAR information will have that info.
                  Will do, thank you.

Claim dated: 18/03/2024
                  Last edited by Prinzo; 27th March 2024, 17:11:PM.

Comment

This is the response I had from Moriarty Law.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Prinzo; 6th April 2024, 16:27:PM.

Comment

This is the response I had from Moriarty Law.
                      a) What requests have you sent them post 6? from (a), (b) and (c)

b) So all they have sent is a letter, is that correct?

The CPR for the small claims track allows you to request CPR 31.14, the documents they have used to file the case against you. So I'm not sure what they are talking about.

You need to make a formal complaint against Moriarty Law as they have breached the Solicitors Code of Conduct by misleading you in that letter (but don't do this yet).

Comment

The CPR for the small claims track allows you to request CPR 31.14, the documents they have used to file the case against you. So I'm not sure what they are talking about.

You need to make a formal complaint against Moriarty Law as they have breached the Solicitors Code of Conduct by misleading you in that letter (but don't do this yet).
                        I sent request (a) and (c) from post 6 to Thames Water, no response yet.

Sent request (b) to Moriarty Law and the response is the letter posted with the postal order for £1 attached.
                        What should be my next move? Need to file defense latest by 20th April.

Comment

Sent request (b) to Moriarty Law and the response is the letter posted with the postal order for £1 attached.
                          Yes, all they have sent is the letter.

Comment

Yes, all they have sent is the letter

Comment

Next move, update the thread on the 17th April, see if you receive anything next week.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X