• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ issued relating to a defunct claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ issued relating to a defunct claim

Hello,

Thank you in advance for any advice.

To start from the beginning, in October of last year, I received a Claim Form for an alleged contractual debt of around £6,500. I attempted to respond to this, submitted an Acknowledgment of Service, and started to prepare my Defence.

However, after multiple communications with the CNBC over phone and email, they informed me that the claim number referenced on the form did not exist; that the document's format was irregular; and that the sticker was incorrect ('It says County Court Money Claims Centre despite that company being closed down earlier this year'). They also rejected the Acknowledgment of Service that I attempted to submit for this claim, as they couldn't find the claim.

I duly informed the claimant's solicitor of this finding from the CNBC, and they reissued the claim identically, under a new claim number, at the start of this year. I have been following the process since then, and last week submitted my Directions Questionnaire to the court within the stated deadline.

However, yesterday I received a 'Judgment for Claimant', referencing the original and first claim (the one which I had been informed multiple times did not exist), stating that I had not replied to the claim form and was ordered to pay the debt, interest and costs immediately. I also have received notice of a CCJ being added to my credit file, and today received an email from the Claimant's solicitor following up on the Judgment of Claim.

I can only assume that there has been an administrative error at CNBC which has led them to regard the original claim as being uncontested, when in fact it has been reissued, and I have been engaging in the process throughout.

Yesterday I was on hold for over 90 minutes waiting to speak to someone at CNBC about this matter; in the end, I had to dial off, but sent an email to Judgments.CNBC@justice.gov.uk summarising the situation and asking for a resolution; this email has so far gone unacknowledged.

I am on hold with them again this morning waiting to speak to someone, but given I now have to act urgently, I would be grateful for any advice on how to proceed. From my perspective, I have contested the claim in the correct channels at all times, and should now be awaiting the court mediation process.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

You will need to apply to set aside the judgement, making all the above points in your accompanying statement. You could ask the claimant's solicitors to arrange for the judgement to be set aside.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/ho...-judgment-ccj/
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      You will need to apply to set aside the judgement, making all the above points in your accompanying statement. You could ask the claimant's solicitors to arrange for the judgement to be set aside.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/ho...-judgment-ccj/
      Thanks for your prompt response and the helpful link. It seems to me that mandatory grounds for setting aside the CCJ would apply here.

I fear it is unlikely that the claimant's solicitors will arrange for the judgment to be set aside, as I've just learned they applied to have judgments on both claims issued in their favour, despite knowing that the original claim was not valid; and in their email to me this morning, they insinuate that the judgment applies to both claim numbers, when that is evidently not the case (their application for a judgment for the more recent claim was rejected by CNBC, as I had filed my Directions Questionnaire).

For context, I have also just spoken to someone at CNBC who has acknowledged that, as the fault is on their side, I should not have to pay for the CCJ to be set aside - and I am now on hold waiting to speak to the next person...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X