• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defending a claim as a deed not actually a deed....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunnydays View Post
    Personally I do think these personal guarantees should be titled and clearly labelled as deeds as most lay people if they don't get legal advice won't necessarily understand what they are signing up for.
    Although according to your Post #1 your partner was recommended to get legal advice and this is recorded in the document but he/she chose not to.

I don't know whether there is any general rule of law that "they can only go after the personal guarantor once they have exhausted attempts to get money from the company" and maybe atticus or R0b can comment on that. I would have thought that the agreement itself will state what the creditor is required to do before they invoke the directors' personal guarantee.

How many directors of the company gave a personal guarantee? Have they all had court claims brought aginst them?
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Just to clarify my earlier point about the language being stated in the document in the presence of ... does not automatically validate the fact that deed is valid. You could still try to argue that the witness was not present and if the witness is still known or there are contact details listed, the court may require the witness to be summoned to court to verify whether he or she was in fact present at the time of signature.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Re post #16, there is no such general rule.. Many guarantees cover the situation in which guarantors pay and there is a later payment from a liquidator, in which case there may be some money returned to guarantors.

And yes, there is a right to seek contribution from other guarantors.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by sunnydays View Post
          I think I read somewhere that they can only go after the personal guarantor once they have exhausted attempts to get money from the company, and that the onus is on them to provide evidence that they have done this.
          You may indeed have read that. Unfortunately it is not correct, unless - most unusually - the wording of the guarantee requires it.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you, I was looking at the financial conduct authority rules I think and other sites, will have to go back and try to find where I found anything about that - as anything re what they should have done and have failed to do may have some mileage in it.

Comment

Originally posted by PallasAthena View Post

Although according to your Post #1 your partner was recommended to get legal advice and this is recorded in the document but he/she chose not to.

I don't know whether there is any general rule of law that "they can only go after the personal guarantor once they have exhausted attempts to get money from the company" and maybe atticus or R0b can comment on that. I would have thought that the agreement itself will state what the creditor is required to do before they invoke the directors' personal guarantee.

How many directors of the company gave a personal guarantee? Have they all had court claims brought aginst them?
              Yes, I appreciate your point, but if I'm honest it is such a big thing, this 12 years liability that imho it should be made more obvious to people. Alot of lay people have no legal knowledge and even small business owners (particularly those in financial problems and needing to get a loan) wouldn't have the extra money for legal advice. I think it may be a requirement with these guarantees now though and you can see why.... Personally I'm quite good with attention to detail but even I may have missed the bit re the deed if I had signed it to be fair to my partner.

2 directors - the claim is after 2 people.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X