• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car accident - not at fault

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car accident - not at fault

Hi guys,

I don't know if I am posting this in the right section or not but essentially, I was involved in a car accident in December 2021. A BT Open Reach van went into the side of us, the driver admitted fault and we weren't required to pay any costs or claim on our insurance. We were given a hire car to cover the period that our car was being repaired.
    When my vehicle was repaired, our insurer sent a bill to the 3rd party insurers to cover the cost of the hire car. However, no settlement has been agreement between the two parties. I have now received a letter from our insurers saying that a solicitor has been appointed to us to deal with this.

I am really confused as to what is happening here. The incident was in December 2021 and the 1st we heard about any of this was about 3 months ago. I don't understand why I need legal representation for this. Surely I won't be responsible for any costs as I was not at fault and was the victim in this incident.

I would really appreciate any guidance here so please feel free to ask any questions for more details to help in that.

Thank you

Tags: None

Presumably your insurers arranged the hire car .for you.

The third party insurers are likely disputing the cost, (possibly because the supplied car was not similar to your damaged vehicle?)

You would have been the hirer and so technically liable for the cost and hence named in any action.

However your insurers should be picking up the tab if the third party insurers don't pay

It is not an unusual scenario as insurers try to keep their claims figures as low as possible

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Presumably your insurers arranged the hire car .for you.

The third party insurers are likely disputing the cost, (possibly because the supplied car was not similar to your damaged vehicle?)

You would have been the hirer and so technically liable for the cost and hence named in any action.

However your insurers should be picking up the tab if the third party insurers don't pay

It is not an unusual scenario as insurers try to keep their claims figures as low as possible

Yes the insurer arranged the hire car. The car we received was 'of a similar standard' to my car that was damaged - although I do think it was below the standard of my car.

So do I have to just go with this? I have received a letter from solicitors asking me to complete some forms confirming that they will be acting for me.

Comment

Talk to your insurers to find out why there is a problem.
        Have you asked the solicitors why they have been appointed. Tell them you do not understand what is happening or why they are needed?
        Ask them to confirm your insurers are paying their account if this hasn't been made clear,

As a claimant you are required by your insurance policy to cooperate with your insurers, but this doesn't mean you are left in ignorance

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          Talk to your insurers to find out why there is a problem.
          Have you asked the solicitors why they have been appointed. Tell them you do not understand what is happening or why they are needed?
          Ask them to confirm your insurers are paying their account if this hasn't been made clear,

As a claimant you are required by your insurance policy to cooperate with your insurers, but this doesn't mean you are left in ignorance
          So basically the solicitors have been appointed because the 2 insurance companies have not been able to reach a settlement figure. So, for reasons I still don't understand, my insurer has appointed a solicitor me to take this forward

Comment

Any court action will be in your name, although run by your insurers, hence the solicitors.
            Just cooperate with them

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X