• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Outrageous counterclaim filed in contract breach case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes if the case reaches final hearing the counterclaim will be heard at the same time.
    There was no need for the defendant to send you a copy of the defence/counterclaim. This document will be sent to you by the court along with the questionnaire provided the defendant has filed it. At this time the court will provisionally allocate it to a track and you will have a chance to object to the fast track giving reasons for your objection..
    Best to wait to hear from the court before writing your reply to defence/defence to counterclaim. You could be wasting your time if the defendant hasn't filed his document or the court decides the defendant has no or very little chance of success.

Comment

Thank you.
      I received the bundle from the court along with the forms you mentioned. There is no indication of the court striking of their own accord.
      To be clear, the proposal is small claims track, not fast.
      At the moment, I will file a reply to defence and defence to counterclaim as the 14 days expires in 8.
      I am wondering if it’s worth filing a summary application with strikeout secondaries at the same time or after, or let it be handled at trial.

Comment

Correction: The rules require parties to serve documents such as defence and counterclaim on all other parties.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Okey, I was incorrectly informed about who sends the defence document by court staff. Has the defendant filed his witness statement too early? I thought there was a cpr no sooner than and no later than relating to disclosure.
          I personally would let the case proceed and not apply for summary judgement yet.. You should spend some time researching CPR and making notes on rules such as Defence, Counterclaim, Statement of Truth etc. Refer to the cpr number that the defendant has not complied with.
          Provide facts, not opinion. Don't concern yourself with the financial position of the builder.
          If you get as far as writing your witness statement this will be your opportunity to write a detailed document in date order, with contracts, correspondence, photos (called exhibits) attached to the witness statement and cross referenced.

Comment

The time for the court to process the directions questionnaire has now increased to 43 working days.

Comment

This is the reply to defence and counterclaim defence I drafted. Comments welcome!
              Attached Files

Comment

A bit verbose, sentences could be shortened.
                No mention of cprs in respect of:
                The Defence and Counterclaim does not have a signed Statement of Truth and "should" be "struck out" , not must be struck.
                It is not clear that the 2nd contract was only for outstanding building work for the defendant's contract. If there were any variations to the 2nd contract they should be costed and taken into account.
                Your signed statement of truth should follow the wording in cpr. You have not included the second sentence.

Comment

Anyone care to comment on the merits of the main claim/defence?

Comment

There is something I don't understand.

The court had the counterclaim, value £21k, before it provisionally allocated the case to the small claims track.

As the counterclaim is over £10k why was the case not provisionally allocated to the fast claims track?

Could it be reallocated?

Comment

Well, I had expected a little more advice but thank you for what I have.
                      Defence etc filed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X