• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British Gas - PRAC - BW Legal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas - PRAC - BW Legal

I have been issued court papers relating to a disputed British gas bill based on estimates which are completely incorrect as the property was vacant for the duration of the billing period,

I need some advice on where I stand defending the claim

Any help would be appriciated
    Tags: None

I suggest that you post up a copy of the claim as issued by the court. You need to be prompt about that as you have only a limited time to defend the claim.

Pending sight of that, my preliminary view is below.

>>>>The starting point is that the supplier - the claimant, is entitled to be paid for the product he actually supplied.

It follows that the supplier can only sue for payment of the product he actually supplied.

It is for the supplier to prove a) the quantity of the product actually supplied and b) the payment(s) due for that quantity.

An estimate of the amount of product supplied and a resulting calculation of the payment owed cannot meet the required proof.
    <<<<<

Q? Do you have proof that during the relevant period a) the supply address was unoccupied and b) do you have meter readings showing the amount of product actually consumed during that period.?

If the answer to the above questions is "Yes", your only liability for payment would be the daily standing charge and the cost of the, presumably, small amount of consumption.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X