• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claim struck out for missing trial fee deadline. Advice please RE deadlines.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claim struck out for missing trial fee deadline. Advice please RE deadlines.

Hi all

I'm a defendant in a small claims case. The claimant missed the trial fee deadline yesterday and so the claim has been struck out. So far I have only had this confirmed by the court on the phone (twice). Something in the post is apparently on the way...

The court have informed me that the claimant attended this morning and has made an application for relief from sanctions. They said they *think* the trial date has been vacated, but did not confirm or say for sure.

The deadline for instructing expert evidence was yesterday. It has not been done. The deadline for filing/serving witness statements and evidence is next week.

My question - Are there any circumstances under which those two deadlines could still stand? I do plan to continue to work on my WS and evidence so that I'm prepared if the case is re-instated. But it would be nice to do so with a little less panic and no sleepless nights! I can relax a bit if I know for sure that the deadline is no longer next week.

Could anyone please confirm?

I'm also curious to know what the outcome of an application for relief usually is in these circumstances. Or is that a "how long is a piece of string" type question?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

You really need to get confirmation from the court.

The usual arrangement will be that the hearing date is lost, and the claimant needs to apply to reinstate the case. Those applications are usually successful in my experience. A new hearing date will then be given.

That is what usually happens. What happens in your case may be different.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

OK, many thanks for explaining. Whilst the court confirmed it on the phone, they weren't up for emailing me confirmation. So I guess I'll wait to see what comes in the post today/tomorrow and perhaps chase on Monday if nothing by then.

Many thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X