• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Nip not received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nip not received

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help.

Last month (October) I received a summons to court for a speeding offence, apparently I had failed to disclose drivers details and also not replied to the NIP.

The fact is that I never received anything and the summons was the first I knew about the offence. The offence occurred in June!!

I moved house in February and changed my address details correctly with DVLA etc so not sure if this is the issue although I have received the summons?

Anyway I pleaded guilty to the driving offence and not guilty for failing to disclose my details as I wasn’t aware of the offence.

I have a reply back saying they will issue 3 points and a near £300 fine. Should I not be given the option of a speed awareness course still If I fit the criteria as this would have been an option for me if I had received the NIP at the time it should have been sent.

thanks for any advice.
    Tags: None

ostell MIKE770 islandgirl

Comment

What was the speed and what was the limit?

Comment

islandgirl Thanks for your reply. The limit was 50 and the limit was 50mph.

I have tried to make an appeal but the courts have got back in touch to say, once the Police have issued a summons they can not offer a speed awareness course.

it just seems unfair when we never received any communication until the summons had been issued.

They have also advised to seek legal action prior to appealing at crown court level.

I am tempted just to have the 3 points and fine but just feel it’s unfair when I never received anything.

thanks

Comment

Apologies. The speed 59 and the limit 50.

Comment

Did you send in a means form? You have been given a band A fine (50% of weekly income) and if you did not send in your means it will have been based on £440 a week. If you did they will have used this information to calculate it. If the income was wrong you can ask the court to adjust it. I can understand why you feel annoyed that you did not get the speed awareness course.
            In other cases I have seen a stat dec was sworn and we then brought the fine back to £100 but still had to give the 3 points. You can do something about the fine - ask the court again though you may be best to go and get some free time with a solicitor but it may be easier just to sit out the 3 years and let the points disappear.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X