• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Arrow/Shoosmiths Ordinary Cause Court Claim - Old HSBC Debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow/Shoosmiths Ordinary Cause Court Claim - Old HSBC Debt

Received a claim? Yes/No: writ received 12th May 2021
    Issue Date: 12th May 2021
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: I submitted intention to defend claim on 24th May 2021 and submitted defences but these are not in correct format. I have had my procedural hearing where i have been granted 7 days to submit
    Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000) £10000
    Claimant’s Name: Arrow Global
    Solicitors Firm: Shoosmiths
    Original Creditor: HSBC (First Direct)
    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : Loan taken out in March 2013
    Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):

The pursuers crave the Court to grant decree against the defender for payment to the pursuers of the sum of XXXX together with expenses.

Condecendences
    1. The parties are as designed in the instance. The defender resides at XXXX. The defender has been so resident for more than three months immediately preceding the raising of this action. The defender is domiciled there. This Court accordingly has jurisdiction. There are no proceedings pending before any other Court involving the present cause of action between the parties hereto. No agreement exists prorogating jurisdiction to another Court.

2. The pursuers are a finance company which inter alia operates the business of debt purchasing. By virtue of a debt purchase agreement ("the Agreement") between the pursuers and HSBC Bank plc ("the Original Owner") dated 19 December 2016, the pursuer acquired title to and was assigned the right to payment in respect of all debts and other monetary claims of any nature due or owing by the defenders to the Original Owner which were in existence as at the date of the Agreement, and in particular in relation to the contract hereinafter condescended upon. The said assignation was intimated to the defender by way of a written notice on or around 19 December 2016.

3. The said contract between the Original Owner and the defender is a regulated credit agreement in terms of Section 189 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. It is dated 11 March 2013, and relates to a Personal Loan Agreement with account number XXXX. It was a term of said agreement that a failure to meet any instalment on a due date would render the account in default and would entitle the pursuer to serve a notice of default on the defender requiring the defender to remedy the breach within 14 days which failing the agreement would be terminated.

4. On or around 27 January 2016 the defender failed to make payment of a sum which had fallen due and the said account thereby entered into default. A Default Notice was issued to the Defender on 27 January 2016. The Defender failed to remedy the default following upon service of the said notice and the account was accordingly terminated in accordance with that notice. The account remains in default. The sum due thereunder is due and payable now. As at the date hereof, the sum due in terms of the said agreement amounts to £xxxx. In terms of the Agreement and the written notice hereinbefore condescended upon, the right to receive payment of the sums due in terms of the said account vests in the Pursuer. A copy of the credit agreement, statements of account and notice of assignation will be produced in any defended process to follow hereon.

5. The defender has been called upon to make payment of the sums sued for. They refuse or at least delay in doing so. This action is accordingly necessary.

Please in Law

1. The pursuers having acquired the right to payment of the sums due by the defender under and in terms of the Contract as hereinbefore condescended upon, the pursuers are entitled to payment of the sums due in terms thereof.

2. The sum sued for representing the debit balance due under the Contract, decree for this amount should be pronounced as craved.

Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): 5 years in Scotland I understand. No the only document I have received was the writ served at my current home address. I should also point out that condecendence 1 is incorrect as I have not resided at the property in 6 years (this is the one which they have used in the writ)

List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):
    Any Other Information or Background Details: i cannot afford legal representation and a solicitor friend has advised me that I should instruct a solicitor asap "as if the Company were writing to you at the address they had for you, irrespective of whether those letters were received, this could be sufficient to prevent prescription kicking in."
    A hearing date had previously been set for July and the solicitors had sent the intimation to my former address, hence I contacted the court and the decree was recalled with procedural hearing then set for 15th September. I have 7 days from yesterday to submit new defences and a hearing is set for 24th November.

I do have a defence typed out but not sure of format (particularly if in scotland) shall I include this in the thread?
    Tags: None

This is my current defence

Arrow Global Limited, a company incorporated under the Companies Acts and having its registered office at Belvedere, 12 Booth Street, Manchester, M2 4AW

PURSUERS

against

DEFENDER

DEFENCE

1. Denied

The Claimant's claim was served on 12th May 2021 at the defendants current address of XXXX. The address in the condescendence is incorrect as the defendant has not resided at the property for over 6 years.

2. Denied

The Defendant has never received said assignation by way of written notice from the pursuer.

3. Not known and not admitted that the said contract between the Original Owner and the defender is a regulated credit agreement in terms of Section 189 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. It is dated 11 March 2013, and relates to a Personal Loan agreement with account number XXXX. It was a term of said agreement that a failure to meet any instalment on a due date would render the account in default and would entitle the pursuer to serve a notice of default on the defender requiring the defender to remedy the breach within 14 days which failing the agreement would be terminated.

The Defendant contends that the Claimant's claim so issued is a claim in contract and is statute barred pursuant to the provisions of The Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973, Section 6. If, which is denied, the claimant contends that the Defendant is in breach of the alleged contract, in excess of 5 years have elapsed since the date on which any cause of action for breach accrued for the benefit of the Claimant. Under Scottish laws the debt is now extinguished.

4. Denied

The Claimant's claim to be entitled to payment of £XXXX or any other sum, or relief of any kind is denied.

5. I wish the return of my £132 Form 07 Fee from the Pursuer.

PLEAS IN LAW

1. The Defendant contends that the Claimant's claim so issued is a claim in contract and is statute barred pursuant to the provisions of The Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973, Section 6. If, which is denied, the claimant contends that the Defendant is in breach of the alleged contract, in excess of 5 years have elapsed since the date on which any cause of action for breach accrued for the benefit of the Claimant. Under Scottish laws the debt is now extinguished.

2. The said decree should not be granted as craved but dismissed and an absolitor issued and my costs returned.

Last edited by doglover123; 16th September 2021, 15:16:PM.

Comment

@R0b Could you please take a look.

Comment

further advice just received is as follows:
        Your defences as they are could be lodged and then adjusted within the deadline of 10th November with a note of adjustments when you have re drafted them.

You might want to state whether you are disputing the debt itself or whether you are disputing the amount claimed, if you have paid half of the loan previously for example.

You could also make an offer to settle to Shoesmiths say of £1000 on a full and final settlement basis without accepting liability and with “no expenses due to or by”. Which means you wouldn’t get your £132 back.

Check that the time bar is 5 years and not 6 for a contract debt

Comment

Is there anyone who can assist? Feeling out of my depth
          TIA

Comment

R0b Could you please take a look. Unfortunately, he isn't about all the time.

Here's some information, might help - https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/taking...ing-to-a-claim

Comment

Originally posted by doglover123 View Post
              further advice just received is as follows:
              Your defences as they are could be lodged and then adjusted within the deadline of 10th November with a note of adjustments when you have re drafted them.

You might want to state whether you are disputing the debt itself or whether you are disputing the amount claimed, if you have paid half of the loan previously for example.

You could also make an offer to settle to Shoesmiths say of £1000 on a full and final settlement basis without accepting liability and with “no expenses due to or by”. Which means you wouldn’t get your £132 back.

Check that the time bar is 5 years and not 6 for a contract debt
              Who did you receive the further advice from?

Comment

A solicitor I asked for help with defences but he advised he would be unable to help given the timescale but instead provided this information. I was in quite a panic after the hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by doglover123 View Post
                  A solicitor I asked for help with defences but he advised he would be unable to help given the timescale but instead provided this information. I was in quite a panic after the hearing.
                  Try not worry, hopefully Rob will look in over the weekend.

Comment

Sorry, afraid I can't help as it's Scottish law and I am not familiar with the legal jargon for disputes or the rules.
                    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Read the whole page, they may be able to help with the format of your defence - https://www.nationaldebtline.org/fac...ourt-action-s/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X