• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defending a Claim with Vague and Incoherent Reasons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Your ADR requests is something that should be made known to the Judge when the consideration of costs arises.

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...ctions/general
    I see, many thanks for the explanation.

Comment

One more question, if I'm submitting this as a PDF by email, how do I 'sign' and date it?

Thanks, John

Comment

Originally posted by BigJ View Post
        One more question, if I'm submitting this as a PDF by email, how do I 'sign' and date it?

Thanks, John
        Several ways,
        print it off, sign / date, scan, convert to PDF.
        sign a sheet, scan sheet, then attach signature to PDF.
        https://helpx.adobe.com/reader/using/fill-and-sign.html

Comment

Thanks for all the help so far echat11 and efpom. I submitted the witness statement and evidence bundle by the 4pm deadline today - copy to court and copy to claimant, by email.

Not surprisingly the claimant has not sent me his statement or evidence.

Can and should I start following up with the court in a day or two to complain that he has failed to follow the court's order to send me (and perhaps the court) the documents - asking for the claim to be struck out? Or do I leave the it to the hearing to raise the issue - assuming the claimant pays the hearing fee?

Many thanks, John

Comment

If the hearing fee has not been paid the claim is automatically struck out. if no witness statement, which is the witness's evidence in chief, is filed with the court and copied to you, the witness is not now permitted to give his evidence in chief, orally at trial. The only evidence is, therefore the particulars of claim. If the claimant fails to serve the witness statement on you, but files it with the court he is in breach of the court's order to do so, and is likely to have a costs order against him and runs the risk of his claim being struck out.

I would wait a few days and then ask the court office id a) the hearing fee was paid on time, or not paid at all, and b) ask if a witness statement or statements have been filed with the court. If witness statements have been filed, ask the court office for copies and ask the court office to note that the reason for asking for copies are because the claimant failed to copy you with those.

Comment

Thanks efpom I'll leave it a few days then ask about the witness statement. Weirdly the hearing fee isn't due till December (hearing in January).

Regards, John

Comment

The court have just come back to me letting me know that "The Court has received no documents from the Claimant either.".

I'll chase them again late December and see if the hearing fee has been paid (due mid-Dec.).

Comment

To close this off, the court have confirmed that the hearing fee has not been paid, and therefore:

The claim will be struck out and the hearing vacated.

We will write to you with confirmation once this has been done.
                  Thanks to everyone for their help in dealing with this.

Regards, John

Comment

Well Done, make sure you get the confirmation.

Comment

When you get confirmation submit your schedule of costs to the court - copy claimant

https://assets.publishing.service.go...1/n260-eng.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by efpom View Post
                        When you get confirmation submit your schedule of costs to the court - copy claimant

https://assets.publishing.service.go...1/n260-eng.pdf
                        That's interesting I didn't realise I could still claim costs even if there had been no hearing. I will be sure to do that to discourage this rogue trader from trying it on with other people who may be less willing to stand up to him.

Thanks for the help once again.

Regards, John

Comment

Surely costs can only be claimed by the Legal Profession?

Comment

See CPR 37A1(7)(c)

You claim your time at the Litigant in Person rate £19.00 per hour. Remember to include any other expenses you have been put to.

Comment

Originally posted by EnglandPi View Post
                              Surely costs can only be claimed by the Legal Profession?
                              That doesn't seem reasonable a LiP has still spent their time preparing their claim/defence. And in some cases - like mine - it's time that could have been better spent elsewhere has the claimant not behaved unreasonably and wasted both mine and the court's time.

Comment

Contrary to post 57, a litigant in person is entitled to costs at the litigant in person rate.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X