• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claim from Dryden Fairfax re: Erudio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claim from Dryden Fairfax re: Erudio

Hi all!

First time posted, hope you don't mind me posting seeking a little advice/input!

I've had a bit of a battle relating to my student loans, and as a result I currently have a dispute with Erudio that's gone as far as them attempting a county court claim. I'll explain.

I've been deferring my student loans, like a lot of people, for many years on the basis of income. I'm a 90s student so it's the old style loans; one of them is with Erudio and one with Thesis.

I was self employed for many years and I would send my deferment form to my accountant to complete and dispatch. This worked great for a long time, but in 2016/2017 the Student Loan Company (hereafter the SLC) claimed they hadn't received a form I'd actually seen my accountant post. We tried again, same answer. Complained, eventually tried again, via registered post this time, they got that one. Complained, they backdated my arrears but only so far, leaving amounts "outstanding" with Erudio and Thesis. I wasn't happy with this, so I made complaints with both companies who quite fairly pointed me to the SLC. It took me a long while to actually get a useful answer from the SLC, but eventually after my accountant wrote to them to back me up they did agree to have the deferment backdated, effectively wiping out the debt.

This went fine for Thesis but Erudio had they say at this point terminated the account. They wouldn't backdate the arrears and kept chasing it, no matter how much I tried to explain the situation to them. I now find myself with a court claim. My position is unchanged - they'd been asked if they would backdate the arrears and Thesis did so, so what makes them different? I've got as far as filing a defense along those lines, with the letters from the SLC and my accountant included.

Dryden Fairfax have come back to me, with proceedings currently stayed, offering to sort out an agreement via a tomlin order. My current thoughts are that I'm in the right and to stick to my guns, but I just wanted to explain the situation to folks with a little more experience in the matter to get some opinions; the amount owed is, sadly, not sufficient to justify what a solicitor would cost me.

Could any of you legal beagles tell me if you think I'm doing the right thing? Happy to explain or expand where something might not be clear!!
    Tags: None

Hi Mike,

Currently getting the same treatment you received from Erudio. They messed up my postal address and stopped emailing so I'd miss deferment during lockdown, then no contact at all, followed by me finding out about a court date by pure miraculous chance and now defending myself. Going to go to the Financial Ombudsman but I'm at the point now where I've submitted my defence, Erudio have rejected my complaint.

What happened with you in the end? How did you respond about the Tomlin Order and what's that?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ULA; 21st February 2023, 15:44:PM. Reason: Requested by poster

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X