• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PRA court action advice needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRA court action advice needed

Hello, I am looking for some advice. I was served with court papers from PRA Group out of the blue for an old debt that I am not aware of. They had been communicating with an address that I have not lived at for 8 years and had therefore got not response.

I am responding to the claim and challenging it. There has been an order of the sheriff for PRA group to provide certain documents. Following advice from CAB also did SAR requests on Lloyds (mentioned in the claim form as the original debt), PRA and their solicitors acting for them. They have come back with lots of stuff but only one page of the agreement with only some personal details on it. They said they are awaiting the rest of the agreement.

We are due to have a phone call with the court to discuss the case in a couple of weeks time and the sheriff asked for all documents to provided 7 days prior
    to this date (next week). I have now received an email from PRA group’s solicitors saying that in order to allow all information to be collected and carefully considered in due course, on a purely commercial basis, they would be prepared to dismiss the court action. What does this mean? Does it mean that they don’t want to take this further or does it mean they are asking me to agree to them pausing the court action to pursue again in the future? This has given me many a sleepless night and I just want it over! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

It would help if you could attach the email here so we can ascertain all the facts but it seems they are just playing for time and want to pursue you in the future. Are you sure this matter is not statute barred?

Comment

They are claiming that there were token payments made until July 2016. I could attach the email but was worried this wasn’t allowed. I’ve never posted before.

Comment

Received a claim? Yes
        Issue Date: 3rd February 2021
        Have you Acknowledged the Claim? Not as stated on this website as this wasn’t an option on the court papers. I have signed in to the civil portal and submitted by defence for the claim
        Total Amount Claimed : £2000
        Claimant’s Name: PRA Group
        Solicitors Firm: Brodies LLP
        Original Creditor: Lloyds on claim form and Bank of Scotland on partial documents that the claimant have provided
        Original Debt: Credit card
        Particulars of Claim: Issued to wrong address. Have claimed that I have ignored the debt (I haven’t lived at the address stated for 8 years so I didn’t know about any communication!). They have claimed that a Lloyds credit card was defaulted on (I have never had a Lloyds account of any sort and the SAR to Lloyds states that they hold no information on me). The form states that token payments were made of £1 until July 2016.
        Is the debt Statute Barred: It would be statute barred in July 2021 if what they were saying about token payments were to be true. I am not aware of this debt is so I have not included this in my defence as I disputed the debt instead
        List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): SAR requests to Lloyds, PRA and Brodie’s
        Any Other Information or Background Details:

Comment

Can anyone advise what this means? Court action is in just over a week. Thank you in advance!

Comment

Have you asked them to show how the alleged payment payments of £1 were made?

Comment

Phantom payments are used believe it or not by many DCAs etc until they are challenged to show proof i.e.:- when paid/how/by whom/ cheques/bank account etc suddenly they are clerical errors, ( many people just do not challenge this) get onto to them for evidence of their statement? send and get proof of posting

Comment

Thank you, I will ask for this!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X